I can't believe they ate it... and enjoyed it. :D

Last night I had nothing planned for dinner. Things are tight this week, so I wanted to stretch the chicken I had thawed. I scrounged in my freezer and found some bean soup I had made that no one liked, and a bag of pork green chili. I was worried when I tossed the bean soup in the pot... it had ham in it... I had forgotten! So this soup had chicken, pork, and ham... I knew it was going to be awful. But was pleasantly surprised. I used my immersible blender and tszujed it until it was all smooth, added the chicken, some black beans, and corn. I served it over pasta. Sooo YUMMY! And the best part is the kids LOVED it!

Have you ever combined such weird ingredients and made something good?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 4:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I do it all the time. We waste almost no food at our house so a lot of stuff gets recycled. My husband often tells me that I can make something again and I have to tell him that I probably can't remember what I did!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• You have never been a girl scout and had hobo stew? (probably called something else now)
    Basically you have everyone bring a can of something for the dinner and it all goes into one pot. It always comes out edible with a little salt.
    A pot used to be kept on the back of the stove and water and anything left over was scraped into the pot. It had whatever was available and any bones etc for additional flavor.
    Our holiday chili always has more than one kind of meat and usually 4 or five.
    I am glad your experiment workedout for you
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• There was a time right after I was newly married when we were really hard up for money, but my husband hadn't learned the lesson yet that I needed the groceries put away properly or I might mistake one can for another. I grabbed what I thought were a jar of spaghetti sauce and a can of diced tomatoes and, without checking because I was in a hurry, dumped both into the hamburger I had cooked. Only the diced tomatoes turned out to be unsweetened applesauce. I was distraught, but we really didn't have the money for me to throw away the food and start over, so I added a few seasonings and didn't say a word. The spaghetti sauce actually turned out to be really good, believe it or not. A tad bit sweet, but in a pleasant way. I've never repeated the experiment, but for that night, it turned out fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2013