My husband and I have custody of my step-son. Can his mother, who lost custody of him due to drug arrest takae him out of state?

My step son's mother is taking him out of state? She was arrested for drugs, paraphernalia and obstruction of justice. We were then granted emergency custody after months of not knowing where she was or what was going on. She went to "drug court" and rehab, came back and immediately failed a drug test, she has visitation as long as her mother, who is also a dirt bag is with her. He is missing his speech therapy that I have already paid for and that she agreed to take him to. She would not get him FREE therapy when he lived with her... anyways, I called her today, after hearing that she was taking him out of state, to verify our drop off and pick up times and place, and she told a LIE on my lawyer, said that my lawyer and her lawyer had already agreed to Friday at 9 am at a place close to their house, where as we live 40 mins from them. They pitch a fit every time they have to drive here to pick him up (saying that we are danger to them-neither me or my husband have any kind of arrests). I obviously called my lawyer and he confirmed that she was lying!!

HELP! I need advice on what my best course of action would be. We go to court in November for the final hearing.. how does it look?

Smiles20093

Asked by Smiles20093 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why didn't you ask your lawyer what you should do?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:30 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• ^^That was my question. You had your lawyer on the phone right then. Why didn't you set up an emergency appointment to see him/her? The attorney has all the pertinent paperwork, presumably, and would best be able to advise you.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• You were talking to your lawyer and you didn't think to ask him what to do about it?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

Answer by kmath .... AND me

call your lawyer back, he knows more than anyone on here, AND he is able to do something about it

good luck

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I forgot to add that part. Our lawyer wants us to play the really nice card, (I guess because this case is going to trial in a county where you get second chance after chance, ya know) So he wants us to look as though we are trying to make sure the child has a relationship with his mother... and that we are totally trying to work with them, With that being said, our ultimate goal is that my step son remain in our home, I just was wondering how all this looked to unbiased people as far as our case of keeping him with us. We worry all the time, SS has lived with us since last summer and yet his mother claims him on medicaid, food stamps, and TANF-STILL! However, she could afford to pay a private investigator to follow us around. She has not given us a dime! NOTHING! She never has a real job, she works for this one and that one, getting paid under the table.
    Smiles20093

Comment by Smiles20093 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• And, I would love for our son to be able to go with his mom and not worry about it! And, I am glad that she is taking him somewhere besides walmart.
    Smiles20093

Comment by Smiles20093 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• arrested for drugs
    you have sole custody
    and she is taking him out of state
    is the dirtbag grandmother going to be there?

i think your lawyer sucks

'playing' nice does not mean giving the 'drug mother' a chance to do harm
    out of state is not in court custody papers ( i assume) so you do not have to allow this to be nice

imo
    bad lawyer advice
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• AND she lied and said both lawyers agreed

nice does not mean bend over and take it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I totally agree.. but I cannot afford to get another lawyer as we have too much money tied up in this lawyer. GOOD does win over EVIl.. eventually right? I hate being nice to her. yes her mom will be there... they finally told me where their reservations are and I called that hotel and told them what I needed and they said that any one can call and check reservations so... they have NO reservations where they said they were going to be.
    Smiles20093

Comment by Smiles20093 (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Her mother is now calling me saying that SS mom being arrested for drugs is irrelevant because she went through drug court to get them dropped? Is this true?
    Smiles20093

Comment by Smiles20093 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2013