I just got bashed all over the place in my own house

When I say bashed, I mean verbally.

My best friend from high school came over today, I haven't seen her in a year, plus we live about 80 miles away. She asked if she could bring a friend, her ex college roommate. I didn't care, the more the merrier, I made a big lunch and put the kids down for a nap before she came so we can catch up.
Anyways, her friend is a hardcore feminist. She had a comment about everything, I had only met this chick once before. She commented on me being a SAHM, the fact that I was wearing a dress, the fact that I bake and garden and do laundry for everyone in my home. I almost bitch slapped her, I'm all for women's right, but it doesn't mean I have to become a dude.
LOL

Not sure what category to put it in, so Home and Garden it is

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 4:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I hope the rest of the visit goes well. :-)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• So not wearing dresses, not doing laundry for everyone in the house, don't bake and don't garden makes you a dude? Good to know.

Sorry she was a bitch to you in your own home.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• She sounds obnoxious, and rude, but kmath makes a very funny point. That door swings both ways, don't let it hit you in the bum!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• That's what I have to be a dude! Wow much cheaper than hormones! LOL Sorry that just popped in my head. I agree that friend of a friend was a bitch. It's extremely rude to come to someone else's home and criticize them for how they choose to live their life.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 4:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• That woman can be as hard core as she wants, but she had no right to criticize your life choices in your home. I am insulted on your behalf. I hate it when anybody decide that just because she has found a way of doing things that works for her, everybody else should do the same. It's really conceited, not to mention obnoxious.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Wow, that was really rude. Personally, I think it's very feminist to choose to be a SAHM. I wish I could have been able to make that choice, but I am the main bread winner in my house. My argument to her would be, I thought the main purpose of feminism was that women were capable to make their own decisions about their life path. If being a SAHM, feels right to me, then that sounds like deciding my own life path. If I wanted to be a working mom, then I would be.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Everything she said was in a joking context, but still. I mentioned the dude part, because she looked like a dude
    leksismommy

Comment by leksismommy (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• It makes me think of that little speech Lois gives on Family Guy about how feminism is about choice, how she *chooses* to be a wife and a mother. ;)

It is very possible to be a strong, self confident, feminist kind of woman and still be a home maker. Not all husbands who are in those kinds of families are old fashioned, chauvinistic jerks. Mine works hard AND comes home and helps with the family. It's not right of her to presume to be able to comment on your life just because of a few details. I'm sorry :(
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• There's a way of saying things you want & putting JK after it, doesn't make it any less offensive. That was very rude & I hope the next time you get the chance to spend time with your friend, it will be just the 2 of you. If she wants to see her other friend, tell her to do it in a separate visit.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Well I hope she didn't sit in your clean house and have the nerve to eat your prepared food.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2013