Is your breast baby clingy?

This is my second breast-fed boy and my last was pretty clingy, but this guy has taken it to a whole new level. He usually looses it all out at night, bordering on colic screaming, but I've found if I take him to bed with me he settles right down. I don't know if he's gassy, refluxy, allergic to something or just pissy!
He's been gaining weight ahead of schedule but he does a lot irregular eating, he won't take a paci and tends to use my breast as one. Is this normal? I really feel like I'm failing here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are not failing! In fact, quite the contrary, if you weren't being such a good mommy then he wouldn't want to be around you as much, and would not cry so much because of the lack of your presence. I don't think it has much to do with breastfeeding, because I have read of babies that are just fine sleeping on their own while only waking up to eat. My little Lily is the same way as your son is, and she is also breastfed. She will not sleep in her crib and I'm starting to think it's a waste of space because she never sleeps in it, she always cries like a colic-y baby when I put her down to sleep in it. She could be in a dead sleep and as soon as I put her down she will cry. I take it all as a compliment and not as an inconvenience. My solution to this problem is to have her in a sling most of the day, and we co-sleep at night. It's a pretty good system, and she rarely cries to fuss now, unless I am out of sight.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Every baby is different. Some babies just need their mommy more. Unless you have a serious objection, I would not worry about it. It's not because he is breastfed. It's just the way he is .
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my baby is not that bad but yeah she shuts up when i pick her up and when other people pick her up when she is crying she will still cry .and now she is doingt his thing at night where i put her down she wakes up crying and no i dont pick her up alot so its not that
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• my dd is extremely clingy! The only other people she will go to without screaming is her gamma or papa (my parents)... she is breastfed, and i'm a stay at mom, so i understand that she is use to me being with her...she's almost 3 months so i'm okay with her being clingy... if she feels like she needs her mommy all day long, then its my job to be there for her! bfk...
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 12:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Not only are you not failing, you are doing GREAT!! Your LO sounds perfectly normal. As you see each LO is different and this little guy is showing you right from the get go. Congratulations mom you are doing AMAZING!!! Keep it up!

Anonymous

• Is "clingy" a bad thing?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son is firmly attached, just as he should be...
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009