I don't understand why bloodwork was necessary and what exactly they are looking for?

I've posted several times about this...

My daughter started breaking out in hives on friday and by saturday it warranted a trip to Children's. They believed it was an allergy to Bactrim (she was on it for a bladder infection) and stopped the meds. Well, she continued to break out and when she was still breaking out and much worse than before I decided to take her to her primary care doctor. He looked at pics of the hives from this morning and deemed it a severe allergic reaction but obviously cannot pinpoint what is causing it. I have not changed anything with household cleaning, bathing or her diet so It's nothing that's been introduced recently.

So he asked me some questions and then said he'd like to do blood work. He is doing a complete blood cell count and then there is some more lab work focusing on white blood cells specifically. She had a vile of blood drawn and they pricked her finger and filled a tube with blood from her finger.

I asked him what they were looking for and he just replied with "just checking it out to see where to go from here." So give it to me straight ladies...what would be your best guess on what he's thinking? I'm so confused right now. What would be the reasoning behind testing her blood? I assumed he'd send us to an allergist but he really threw me off with bloodwork.

Maybe I sound stupid...please be nice though. I'm just really concerned for my daughter and honestly not thinking straight. She's had me very worried and the blood drawing was AWFUL. My head is spinning and I just want answers. I'll get the results tomorrow and speak with the doctor but I just wanted to pick some brains on here...

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Checking antibodies,looking for high white cell counts,looking for signs of disease

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Celiac disease for one,presents with a rash

• Doing a complete blood panel will tell him which direction to go if any of the numbers are outside of the normal range.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• it really doesnt matter if youve changed anything.
    allergies can pop up at any time
    i.e. after baby i took an aleve and now have to carry an epi pen. i also cannot have dove shampoo/ conditioner on my scalp. i develop welts.
    no more NSAIDs for me. but the dove can touch the rest of my body

the doc doesnt know what is wrong with the kid and is taking blood for exactly the reason he said- to try and find out what is wrong. thats a good thing. at least he isnt passing the buck.

be aware if they put her on steroids she may get fatter. it is just a side effect. IMHO- keep on her on them for as short a time as possible
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:50 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• There are 5 different types of white blood cells. By doing a full panel he can see how many there are in contrast to red blood cells and narrow down the cause of the reaction by the percentage of specific white cells that are present.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I don't know, but you and your daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers. Try to breathe deeply and not get too upset till tomorrow when you have the results. Easier said than done, but this may be easily remedied.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Blood can tell you so much when trying to determine what is going on with someone who is sick, or otherwise having health trouble. Don't freak out. He's simply looking for anything the blood can tell him, because it can point him in a specific direction. It's kind of like trying to narrow down a food allergy - if you have a reaction, are we going to ask you what you ate in the last couple of days, or test you for everything sold in the grocery store? We're going to narrow it down and start with what you ate in the last couple of days, and expand to everything sold in the grocery store only if we have to. Same thing here - he's going to start with bloodwork to see if it can tell him anything, and then expand out to the whole grocery store if the blood doesn't tell him anything useful.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• If she has some sort of infection it will show up in the blood. Cancer shows up in the blood. A lot of things show up in the blood. That is why blood test are needed. Why are you worried about blood test. You said yourself it is not chemical or food.

Answer by louise2 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• He is trying to see if there might be causes that he can see in her blood work. There might be a disease or disorder that he can find through the bloodwork or as in my case a vitamin deficiency ( I did not have hives) If he asked for blood work first he has a good reason. I had to watch as they did allergy tests on my 4 year old brother and I would not wish that on anyone. It can be necessary but I would want them to look at all the possibles first.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• looking for an infection. If there is some kind of infection in her body, WBCs will be high.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2013