Why would someone joke about loving someone?

I recently started seeing a guy. A few months in, he would jokingly say "I love you" or say things like "You know you love me, just say it." This happens in person and through texting. I can't say I've ever had someone joke about loving someone and most guys would get scared and run off if I said those three words lol. I've said something about how I think it's weird he jokes about it and he just brushes it off and says he's just playing around. Anyone ever experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Relationships

• Maybe he is not joking about it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• ^^^^What she said. I'm thinking perhaps he isn't joking but is testing the waters and doesn't want to scare YOU off.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:09 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• That was my thought but I don't love him. So there's no way to find out if he's not joking until I say it to him lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I wouldn't care for it much.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• Seems odd. I wonder if he really does love you but he's too nervous to say it seriously.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• I don't think he's joking. It may be accompanied by some nervous laughter because he knows he is going out on a limb and he's trying not to get hurt.
    Why is this relationship continuing for MONTHS if you don't love him? What are you using him for?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• So because I don't love him after a few months that means I'm using him? Really?

When I ask him what he would do if I told him I loved him, he said he'd say about time I admit it. So apart of me wonders if it's a cocky thing, as in he thinks I love him and wants to hear it to boost his ego.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• I think you need to be honest with him and tell him you don't love him. It doesn't sound like he's really joking; he's hoping you feel the same way. Since you don't, give him an out.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• It's possible he's testing the waters, but I think it's more likely that he's playing mind games with you. He wants you to THINK that he loves you or is too scared to say it, but he does everything BUT say it. Players use this technique all the time. Then weeks or months later, you might catch him with another girl or in a lie, and he'll say, "I never said I loved you. I asked YOU about it, we TALKED about it, but I never said I loved you." Do not fall for this please. If a guy can't express himself or doesn't know what he wants, you need to treat it as a casual relationship until he CLEARLY says he loves you & wants to be exclusive with you. Heck, I still wouldn't take it seriously unless there's a ring on your finger. Date around until there is a ring on your finger. Like you would shop for a car, shop around for the best man for you. Does he give you all you want? At what price? Don't get a fixer-upper & beware of lemons.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• When he is saying it truthfully, how are you going to know?

Answer by louise2 at 6:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2013