What can I eat before working out?

Ok so Jillian Michaels totally kicked my butt tonight! It was my first day of working out and I was doing her 30 minute cardio workout. I ate at 6:30-7 and it was a little thing of ravioli and at the time it was ok. I really should have known better but i just got that burst of motivation and just acted on it. Well after working out I got really sick and I know it was because I did not have enough food in me. Since it's so late when I get the chance to workout I wanted to know what I could eat a half hour before working out that will help me by not getting sick. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks ladies!

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm not really sure what you should eat before working out, but here is a bump so hopefully someone that can help will.

I know that after working out, protein is a great thing to have. I used to have a protein shake after working out and that helped me not be so worn out. Also drinking water should help.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• When I was walking early in the mornings I'd have something like a hard boiled egg or slice of whole wheat toast before I left, then I'd come back, shower, and eat a little more. You want something light but with enough protein to last you through your workout.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2013

• It might not be what you ate... It might be that your intensity was too great compared to your fitness level.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• I walk 4 miles every morning and I usually have a banana or half a bagel with peanut butter about 15 minutes before I leave. Anything too heavy and I am sluggish and lose about a minute or two a mile. Anything too light, same thing. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what worked best for me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• My favorite pre-work out snack is a turkey sandwich. My favorite post workout snack is a banana and peanut butter whole wheat tortilla wrap.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• Figure this would be better for you to read some suggestion because everyone has different bodies. And what may work for them may not work for you. 

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/what-eat-before-during-after-exercise

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• A protein shake would be best, it is not good to fill your belly with food before a workout. it weighs you down...

Answer by older at 7:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• my advice is start the morning with a protein drink! And through the day having good healthy snacks> I workout right after work usually and by that time I'm hungry so I try to have a protein bar before I hit the gym. I've hear the Jillian Micheals thing is rough. I wouldn't just go into that workout, I feel you need to work up to that. it's taken me over a year, and I still know that I have lots of work to be done.
    Good Luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• I would go for a piece of toast with peanut butter on it to give you the good protein, don't forget to be hydrated because that can also make you sick.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:23 AM on Jul. 10, 2013