My 3 year old has discovered his penis. Now how do I get him to leave it alone?

Actually it's a musical snake right now. I guess we'll deal with that he talks about his butt all the time but how do you get little boys to leave their penis alone at least in public?

I mean he's pulling his diaper down and waving it around making musical hissing sounds. Was anybody else's son quite this strange about their genitals?
Also any tips for getting him to stop laughing at other people's genitals? He sees me going to the bathroom or his Dad getting out of the shower or even us changing his sister's diaper and he has too point and laugh hysterically.

We have to get him to stop this by school in late August so we don't get a call from school about that he was waving his penis around the classroom singing.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Just keep reminding him that it is something private and you do not show it to other people or when you are not at home.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:23 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• Once my son found his penis, he was in love. It's strange that he would find genitals funny though, but we've never made a big deal out of it. Everybody has genitals, just like everybody has arms, feet, etc.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 7:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• I agree with the top comment about reminding him that its something he explores in private.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 8:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• We had two boys. This behavior seems excessive. Has he seen anything that would have modeled it? Has he been left in the care of someone who was less than careful about exposure? I would be very concerned about the why of the situation because I do not think what you have described is anywhere close to normal. Maybe you could ask his doctor for help.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• It's normal for a 3 year old boy to discover and love his penis. Not so normal for him to wave it around in public and make "musical hissing" sounds. That to me sounds like a learned behavior.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• I would wonder about the company he's keeping. Finding and playing with their penis is normal for a 3 yo boy (just remind him every time you see him to go to his room), but the hysterical laughing at other people's genitals and waving his penis around is not. Find out where the behavior is starting and eliminate it (maybe an older cousin or neighbor taught him it's funny?)

Answer by missanc at 8:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• He did it once(the musical snake thing because it was ridiculous) and I accidentally laughed I think is what started this trend. He sings to everything so I'm not shocked about that so much.

He doesn't have any older cousins so I have no idea where he would have gotten it from.
    We'll work more on that his penis is private even if it's musical.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• i agree with other ladies to remind him to not do in public but that he can explore and do whatever weird sounds or comments when he's by himself.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• meh- genitals are funny. so are butts and farts.

try this article. you can find them all over the web. the term you want to search is toddlers or child development and bathroom humor

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2013

• 3 words.... Osh Kosh B'Gosh.
    Put him in overalls where he can't get to it as easily!
    Plus I agree with what everyone else said. That that is private, he should not play with it unless he is in the bathroom or bedroom, and to wash his hands after he touches himself.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2013