How often does being tongue tied impact a child's speech development?

Kayci9

Asked by Kayci9 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It will have an impact if not taken care of and the sooner the better.

Anonymous

• VERY! my nieces were tongue tied, my 1 1/2 year old at the time spoke clearer than his 4 year old cousin. My nieces got their tongues clipped and spoke great after that. it's a super easy fix for it.
    Anonymous

• I didn't notice any speech issues with my daughter before she had her tongue clipped when she was five. Hers was clipped due to an issue of the frenulum growing tangled with the salivary glands.
    So you know, a short frenulum really doesn't cause speech issues very much.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You can download an excellent presentation on tongue tie and the effects from Dr. Plamer's website. Go to: http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/frenum.htm

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It depends on the child and how severe the tongue-tie is. My son had a very prominent tongue-tie and it interfered with his eating. I had a short proceduredone where it was clipped. They numbed it and slightly sedated him. I was able to nurse him minutes after and he was happy as a clam as though nothing happened. I didn't want to wait until he had trouble talking later in life to have it done where he would have remembered it and been upset about it.  I wanted him to start talking when he was ready instead of being paranoid about whether or not he should be talking by now and if his frenulum was hindering him or not.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My grandson had trouble with this about 2 years ago he was only 3 at the time. I noticed as long as you tell them hold on take your time then he would get his words out just fine. He would get upset with his self and when I would set down with him and say hold on take your time, MeMe is right here he would relax and the words would come right on out. This went on for about 8 months and then it just went away. Grown people would try and make fun of him and it would piss me off but he knew I was there for him and after he seen I was not going to let people make fun of him he relaxed more and now has not trouble at all talking.
    breezy2005

Answer by breezy2005 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My son was severely tongue tied, at 15 months we went in and had it snipped. He had to go under anesthesia. Now he is 26 months old and speaks very well. It took him a bit to realize that he could extend his tongue, but once he figured it out. There was no stopping him : )
    doulamommy

Answer by doulamommy at 9:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2009