Wild baby sparrow

Has anybody had one? I am reading up on the web but real life experience is better. No vets are open at this hour. I found a baby in the gutter today. He looks like he was probably trying to fly and landed there or fell out of the nest. He has all his feathers but his tail is very short. He cannot fly nor does he grasp my finger with his toes. I currently have him in a small box with a makeshift nest out of wash cloths. So far he has eaten a skinless grape, some water-soaked wheat bread and a bite of cat chow soaked in sugar water. he doesn't like the cat chow.

So, what do I do with this little guy? Do I need to wake up all night to feed him or will he last until morning? I hope to find a wild life vet tomorrow who can take him. If I can't what the heck do I do? Has anybody had one? I have cared for many adult injured sparrows and a pinky mouse but never a baby sparrow.

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 12:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2013 in Pets

• If he has all of his feathers, you probably don't have to wake up all night and feed him. If he ate the skinless grape, give him some more of those and get some sleep. Put the box in a warm place, even on top of a heating pad set to low and wrapped in a heavy towel.

How've you been?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:04 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I have sparrows that come and feed at my window. They're heavily into seeds :) if that's any help (small ones like sesame or millet - should you have any in the house).
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 2:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Ugh, Ballad, I have been heavily stressed. My stbx is continuing his narcissistic harassment techniques. We had our temp hearing in which he got the custody he wanted but apparently is furious over the support ordered. So now his newest threats are that we're going to trial and he'll get full custody (currently has 1/3) and blah blah blah. I am a nervous freaking wreck. Other than that I am trying to make every moment with our son count since I only have him during the week days. I also lost my ability to home school beyond this coming year. My stbx pulled that just to be spiteful since he's the one who asked me to home school in the first place.

Thank you, goldpandora - I'll dig around in the pantry and see.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 2:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• We found a baby starling once. We also had fish at the time that fed on small goldfish. Believe it or not, the bird loved those (sm. goldfish). Hopefully a wildlife vet or sanctuary can give you some help when you call. Hopefully they can even take it off your hands. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Give him chances to test his wings when he is strong enough.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2013