Ok, so I know some of you are not in favor of Zimmerman being acquitted, but what do you think about the DOJ using taxpayer money.....

To pay government employees to help organize racially-charged demonstrations...

..."Documents obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request reveal that the Department of Justice spent thousands of taxpayer dollars to provide assistance for anti-Zimmerman protests in 2012, the Daily Caller reported Wednesday. Among the protests assisted by the Justice Department was one headlined by activist and MSNBC host Al Sharpton.
At issue is the money spent by so-called "peacekeepers" in the Community Relations Service, a division of the DOJ that, according to Judicial Watch, the organization that requested the information, "purports to spot and quell racial tensions nationwide before they arise..."

Judicial Watch said that:

CRS employee spent $1,142.84 to travel to Sanford, Florida from March 25-28, 2012 “to work marches, demonstrations, and rallies”;
CRS employee spent $751.60 to travel to Sanford, Florida from March 30-April 1, 2012 “to provide technical assistance to the City of Sanford, event organizers, and law enforcement agencies for the march and rally on March 31”;
CRS employee spent $1,307.40 to travel to Sanford, Florida from April 3-12, 2012 “to provide technical assistance, conciliation, and onsite mediation during demonstrations planned in Sanford”;
CRS employee spent $672.24 to travel to Tampa, Florida from April 18-20, 2012 “to meet with RNC official related to possible protests and demonstrations during the RNC”
Judicial Watch also said it obtained an audio recording of a “community meeting” held at Second Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church in Sanford on April 19, 2012.

The meeting reportedly opened with a gospel hymn and organ music and reportedly led to the official ouster of Sanford’s Police Chief Bill Lee, Judicial Watch said.

According to Judicial Watch, that meeting produced a nine-point plan, the main demand being Chief Lee's removal.

The Daily Caller said a DOJ spokesperson initially said she did not know "off the top of her head" what role the CRS played in the anti-Zimmerman protests.

But DOJ spokesperson Dena Iverson later said in an email that "the Community Relations Service was in Florida as part of their mandated mission" while providing a link to the CRS’s website.

Since the case broke last year, George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer on trial for the shooting death of Martin, has received thousands of death threats. It is impossible to determine how many of those threats are a direct result of taxpayer-funded activities by the DOJ. Those documents detail the extraordinary intervention by the Justice Department in the pressure campaign leading to the prosecution of George Zimmerman,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “My guess is that most Americans would rightly object to taxpayers paying government employees to help organize racially-charged demonstrations.”

Seriously?!? WTF?? I am utterly baffled when I saw this! I put in a question to Fact.org to see if this article is actually true! If this is true, we as a society, are in major trouble, especially if you are white. What are thoughts?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:32 AM on Jul. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly, I think the government is stirring the pot and trying to get tension charged up between the races. I'm not sure why that would be a worthy goal, but I definitely get that feeling.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• It is the right of every citizen to protest. What the state of FL does to prepare for them is up to that state. There would be protests regardless. I live many states away and there are protests here the city has to prepare for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• It stinks to high heaven. That's what I think. I also wonder why nobody is even trying to do one thing about it!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Nothing shocks me about what our government spends money on. Mostly on agendas.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 11:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Are you sure that these people are not part of a system to help keep the protest from getting out of hand? That's what it seemed like to me as I read your post.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I'm not surprised that the government (local, state or federal) has an interest in the outcome of this trial.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Well, now the judge has said that the jury could come back with manslaughter, which the defense strongly objects to because it isn't what the trial started out with. I wonder if it's a way to try to get a conviction so the world doesn't explode. I'm not saying there should or shouldn't be one, but it seems a little strange for manslaughter to come up now.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• " but it seems a little strange for manslaughter to come up now."Ballad

It is very strange, but its also indicative of the state knowing they did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt for 2nd degree murder. What I find little uneasy is the interplay between Zimmerman and the judge. The judge asked Zimmerman if he was gonna testify on is behalf, and he says he didn't know. IMO, I thought the judge was out of line. There is no reason for Z to testify on his behalf because the jury already heard his testimony to the police, then the detectives when they brought him back the crime scene and reacted the incident between him and Martin. Here is a clip that has both video and the words..

http://nation.foxnews.com/2013/07/11/greta-zimmerman-judge-was-way-out-line

Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Yet another blatant example of misappropriation of tax-payer funds. Not to mention a blatant disregard for our legal system, by basically showing a lack of faith in allowing it to work the way it was meant to. How many more thousands were spent on the added police presence to handle these paid for & bussed in protestors? How many officers were pulled away from their regular duties to protect & serve the citizens, in order to keep the protestors in line? It's sickening & Eric Holder needs to step down if he is so narrow-minded that he cannot do his job for the entire country, rather than focusing on a select group.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2013