How many of you have ever taken your child hunting or to target practice?

I have a chance to go to a shooting range on Fri. Was contemplating taking my 11 y/o. Part of me thinks that's a bit young, but know others whose children have grown up around guns & hunting.

She's a very bright & responsible child. I'm not so concerned about her being safe about it (b/c I know she will be), as I am about her not liking it & wanting to leave before I'm ready.

What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• We target shoot on occasion with our DD. I think her first time was at 12. If you think she can handle things safety-wise you should give it a try. As long as you have good hearing protection she will probably enjoy it, especially if it's something you like. She might really want to share an activity with you.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I'd take her.
    And if she got bored/ didn't like it she could just sit her butt done til mommy was done.
    Think about all the boring kid stuff you do for her.

Living in the country my kids started small (BB Guns) and worked up to using rifles on the property and clay pigeons. If they could hold it and not take out an eye, they've been taught to use it properly. There is nothing mysterious or intriguing about guns. They are tools for hunting and protection.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Son will be 9 in October. We've been back and forth on the whole shooting range thing for years now. I know he'd LOVE IT and we found a lovely locally owned range and gun shop and the owner wouldn't hand him a gun til he was personally confidant in him. I've never held a gun but my husband is from a hunting family. We're still going back and forth but it's on the table for sure. I'd never want one in my house though
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• my kids are still too young, but I started going hunting with my daddy when I was around 10
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I used to love target practice with my dad!! Give it a try
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• My kids are 5, 6 & 7 and have all been "hunting". The oldest was with my hubby when he shot a deer. He's bugging him for a bb gun which he may get for Christmas as he's pretty responsible but it goes in the gun safe. They have all "Shot" the rifle and got knocked on their butts with hubby helping them. They know that guns kill and they don't get back up when shot.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Ex DH took my son hunting after he completed the hunters safety course at age 12.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• DS started hunting at about 6, he had his first bb gun at 4 (with supervision of course) He is now 9 and has his own .22 and 410 shotgun and hunts on the regular.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 1:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I haven't, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I think the 'appropriate age' is more about maturity level and ability to listen and follow directions on a regular basis. If that is 10, 11 or 18. If you think he is ready to handle it then go for it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2013