I can't stand t.v. and what most of it represents.

I guess i'm still back in the 70s and 80s with only 3 channels cable unheard of only a home phone whats a cell phone.Life seemed so much more calmer and happier with ppl to me, My friend just the other day bought her 7 yr old gd a cell phone, I think thats nutts.I do have cable now, internet but limit my children to all of it.We have parental controls on everything.I'm called just old fashioned.I don't care what they say..I just don't see High setting morals with kids anymore.Everything goes..I hate what I see everywhere anymore, drinking, sex, what our kids see and wander why their kids turn out how they do..hummm I wander.Is their high moralistic ppl out there anymore?I find myself not wanting to associate with anyone.You have to be a drinker, that sorta thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hear you. My children considered me very strict, but then, it was the way I had been raised, too. I see some others from their elementary school who are addicted to drugs and who aren't settled in life and look at mine who are settled with families and at least employed, and I think, well at least they got along all right. Perhaps they would have gotten along all right even without my strict rules, who can say. When they were still at home, though, they were not permitted to watch certain programs, they were not allowed to cuss in the house, they were expected to attend church, they were expected to behave in a respectful manner towards parents and teachers.

Answer by Bmat at 1:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree with you. I dont isolate myself from people but I don;t let what they do dictate what goes on in my home. We monitor our tv tightly and I was even thinking about ditching it but I think we are contracted for now. Apparently whats going on in our society and whats happening to our children is not linked to whats being shown on tv. Parents are just not making the connection. I guess they would rather blame someone else other than themselves?? Go read a few of the "teen" questions and tell me we don't have a problem....LOL.....We are still fairly old fashioned too. You know...dads here, we say yes maam, no sir, we dont speak to one another like dogs, we love God and we drive and suv ( don't know what that has to do with it, but just thought I would throw that in)....
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree. Heck I wish tv was never even invented.. all though i do watch.. if we never had it.. we would all be spending more quality time with our families. I only allow my son to watch Sprout and PBS.. which are all good shows that teach him good things. I will never even let him watch nickelodeon.. or any of that crap the older kids are watching.. like spongebob even...i don't normally watch any of my shoes until he is sleeping.. the commercials alone disgust me.. they might as well be having sex on them and showing all body parts. I can't even really listen to the radio in the car because of the language they use.. I can't believe there are like no morals and values anymore. It was one thing when it was only on the premium channels.. but now its everywhere. There is almost no way to keep them from learning that stuff and its sad.
    Anonymous

• My husband is great father because of examples like Cosby, Family Matters and other family shows. He studied biology in college because of shows like Mythbusters and Bill Nye. We loved Reading Rainbow and read about a book a week each. So its not all bad and some lives are actually better because of it. Its all about what you watch.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• TV is not the problem. Parents allowing TV, video games, friends and society to be a bigger influence than they are on their own child.   Many parents probably should get off the computer or DVR their favorite shows and play a game.  Many choose to do other things to avoid playing with their kids so the kids are only influenced by friends, TV, music and video games.  That is on the parents for not doing better. 

My son is kept active and has little time for video games or TV.  We are at the park, bike riding, golfing, playing with Nerf guns outside and sometimes playing a board game indoors.  We do stuff with out child.  We make it a priority to be his biggest influence.  TV is not the bad guy lazy parenting is. 

Anonymous

• That is so true Anon.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I let my kids watch tv and play on the computer and video games. It is all carefully watched and there are limits on it. I use the tv to keep the kids busy while I need to do something. They know their are show's that are innappropriate for them and even one time at my mom's house they told her that the one show that was coming up was not appropriate for them.
    I don't mind my kids watching tv within limits and I do take responsibility for raising them. God blessed me with them and I'm doing my best.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I hate TV as well. We only had one in our house until about 2 weeks ago and it broke. I was thrilled! My husband was not :-( I finally gave in to the begging and replaced it today. We only allow the kids an hour or so a day and only if we approve of what is on. My husband loves movies and collects them so not having a TV was hard for him. Maybe one day it'll be gone again.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have to say that TV is NOT the problem. Lazy parenting is! How much coddling does the public need? If you don't want your kid watching certain programs, then monitor the TV or put up blocks, etc. Don't just blame behavior on the tv/music/etc. If thats your choice as a parent, then fine. But, don't try and tell me I should/shouldn't let my kids do this or that just because you shelter your child more.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2009