DERP!!

I keep getting these calls for the guy who used to have my cell number before me. Usually I just ignore them,but today I answered
Me- Hello?
Lady-yes,I'm calling for John A.
Me-he no longer has this number,I have it now.I've had it for over a year now
Lady-Oh ok. Do you know how I can get ahold of him?
Me- (laugh) Ma'am,This is no longer his number. See,I bought this phone a year ago,and this is the number I was given with the phone. Do you understand?
Lady-So you don't know of any way I could reach him?
I hang up,shaking my head
I don't get it. She sounded American,so a language barrier wasn't the issue. I guess she was just dumb :P

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I'd have said "Have you tried the county jail?"
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Did she sound stupid, or did she sound like a collection agent (not that she couldn't be both)? Standard protocol - EVERYONE who tells you it's a wrong number is lying. If that same number keeps calling, get a cease and desist letter ready. We had an attorney's office that used an autocaller on our number for six months before we finally got them to stop.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• maybe it was a collection call or somthing, they have to TRY you know!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• My boyfriend's store number used to belong to a woman who wasn't too concerned with paying off her debts. When someone calls for her, he's gotten in the habit of saying, "You're looking for Sally D? So is everybody else on the planet. If you find her, give me a heads-up so I can point all the other callers in her direction."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• *but definitely annoying for you ;)
    charlotsomtimes

•  Yep, definitely one of those type of moments :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Or try to sell them something (hard sell) - you'll get the hang up righty quick.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I let all unknown calls go to VM. I used to get a bunch of calls for some Victoria/Veronica/something like that. I finally called the number they left and told them that I was NOT who they were looking for. The lady there was very nice and took my number off the paperwork they had for her. I never got another call for her again!

Oh, yeah, I also looked her up in the phone book and gave them that number, too.. Seems they have some kind of rule against looking in local phone books, which I don't understand....
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I don't know how many people had my cell number before me. I got a call from someone in prison, a call for Mary, a call from a walgreens I never use to tell me my prescription was ready, and a call from an elementary school across town to come get my child. Don't people update friends and family anymore? Certainly one would think at least the school should have a current number for that person.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2013