Abstinence ~ Do you agree with Bristol or her Mom?

Palin gave this response to the following question:
Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.

***

Van Susteren was delicate with the teenager but pointedly asked if "contraception is an issue here."

"Is that something that you were just lazy about or not interested, or do you have philosophical or religious opposition to it," Van Susteren asked.

Bristol quickly answered that she didn't want to get into specifics. The best option is abstinence, the teen said, but added that she didn't think that was "realistic."

***

So who's right? Mother or Daughter?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that sex ed SHOULD be offered in high schools with a written permission slipped giving the OK from parents.

The education that parents are providing these days are NOT sufficient. Condoms, birth control, consequences what is classified as sex-lets face it-we are seeing the highest counts of Herpes I and II in places that they should be with teens due to "oral sex" not being sex.

And it has been discussed by some professionals that we will be seeing a whole new population of young people being diagnosed with HIV.

I am all for it in a mature, respectable manner.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think its the parents job not the schools to teach sex ed. They can teach reading, math and science and leave the decisions on sex ed up to the parents. Everyone is different so as with me I was a teen mom and I opted to place my dd on birth control. Even that isnt fool proof because even though I put mine on it she still got pregnant. Unless youre putting birth control pills in their cereal without them knowing they dont have to take our advice anyway. In the long run the only sure proof method of birth control IS abstinence but I dont think its realistic to expect kids not to have sex before marriage. It also isnt realistic to think theyll take birth control pills just because we tell them to.

Answer by gemgem at 1:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I think sex ed should be taught/discussed at home! I don't think the burden should be on the public schools. Health education is fine, but when it comes to instructing teens/pre-teens how to put on a condom, and the different types of birth control out there, that's where I (personally) think the line should be drawn.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Forget whether it's taught at schools or at home -- I don't want to get into a debate over "who's" job it is - but simply should it be taught at all.

There are people who believe that the "only" answer is to tell their kids - you MUST wait...period...with no preparation for what could happen: pregnancy or STD's!

I will tell my girls I'd like them to wait - but if they choose not to; they will also know ALL of the possible dangers assocatied and all the options to prevent them.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I also think that there should be an open forum about drugs in our school.

Too many kids think that prescription drug use is safer than pot or heroine bc it is prescribed by doctors.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I should have included in my reply - I don't feel education = action. I actually think education is what will prevent un-planned teen preg's and lower our STD rates...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• JennRN09 -- that's a good point Jenn - something they should include in health classes or the D.A.R.E. programs
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Agree with the two ladies here.I teach my kids abstinence first but they do know about the BC/STD prevention options.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• How many of your schools still offer DARE-not any near me.-its sad.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I dont want my kids learning about sex in school at ALL! It is my job not the school to teach them.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009