Do you think adoption could be paid for by asking it to be funded through social media?

Several couples have funded adoptions by using social media to have friends, family, and even strangers donate to the cause. Agree or disagree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2013 in Adoption

• I have known people who have wanted to adopt a child but simply could not afford it. Not that they couldn't afford to raise a child but the costs of adoption itself.
    When we adopted 3 siblings it cost us over $20,000 upfront for homestudy, lawyer, filing fees, visiting back and forth, etc. After the adoption was finalized we got most of that money back in subsidy's (which we hadn't expected) but if we hadn't been able to get the money we wouldn't have been allowed to adopt. If they had social media when we were adopting we very well may have used it to help us out. Not sure if I would have put it out for anyone other then family and friends.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Disagree. If you can't afford to adopt then you should investigate the cost of actually raising a child. Now, I don't care if people do this, I just wouldn't contribute.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I agree with QuinnMae 100%
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I wouldn't personally donate like that, but if it works for some families, then it might be worth a try.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I don't think asking strangers is the way to go - I'd rather donate to a known charity I can research rather than some stranger on the street asking me to help them adopt a kid.

But I see no problem with asking family and friends to help you. They know and love you, and if they want to help you out, then they should certainly be able to do that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• You could give it a go - stranger things have happened, like boob jobs being funded that way.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• You say you know people who have done it so it could be done that way, obviously. I personally would not do it and I would not donate to something like that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I did not specify I knew people personally, only that it has been done. The real question is it really something that should be done. Or is it tacky and distasteful.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2013