Smart phones ... and now smart diapers?

Smart Diapers Help Monitor Infant Health

That’s right, it’s 2013 and while we don’t have floating cars yet at least the diapers are getting smarter. A company called Pixie Scientific has developed a new “smart” diaper which claims to be able to detect urinary tract infections, kidney dysfunction and dehydration,

For something so smart the technology is very simple. A small patch at the front of the diaper contains four small, colored squares that each react differently when they come into contact with certain proteins, water content or bacteria. If an abnormal reaction occurs, the squares will change colors, signaling to parents that something might be off with their baby’s health.

The best part is you don’t have to get down and dirty to see if something is afoul. Parents can also download an app, which can photograph the colored squares and give parents precise readings of their baby’s chemical data. That information can then be transmitted to a doctor, who will decide whether or not the baby needs to be examined further.

Testing in scheduled to begin in September at the Benioff Children’s Hospital of the University of California, San Francisco. If successful the product will be moved along for FDA testing.

The founder of Pixie Scientific, Yaroslav Faybishenko, said he expects the high-tech diaper will cost about 30 percent more than non-digitized diapers. Faybishenko said he was inspired to develop the new technology by his own daughter.

“I was driving with my wife and daughter one day, when my wife asked if the baby had wet herself,” Faybishenko told the New York Times. “I realized she was sitting in data.”

With parents hypersensitive about the health of their babies and most of us obsessed with technology when the smart diaper comes to market its sure to be a hit.

http://squiish.com/2013/07/10/smart-diapers-help-monitor-infant-health/

So, is this the next great leap forward in baby care, or is technology getting just a wee bit too invasive?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like a great idea for hospital/dr's office use. Much less invasive then catheterizing an infant.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• And how much are these things going to cost? LOL

Honestly, sounds like a great idea. I sure could have used these with my now almost 8 year old! She had tons of UTI's as a baby.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• My kids have never had a urinary tract infection or kidney problem. I guess you just buy them if you suspect an issue? Not for every day use? Seems like a waste of time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I guess its a good idea, lets completely discourage common sense. Plus how much do these cost? $50 for a pack of 15
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• it would be a wonderful idea for babies who are suspected to have a uti, like Mommie said, less invasive than catheterizing
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I think its a novel idea. I would buy a pack to have just in case I am concerned, it sure beats paying a doctor visit until deductibles are met along with a copay. Plus, getting urine from a little one is sometimes painful for them as one poster pointed out catherizing. I would be thrilled to have a heads up like that.
    poppincorns

Answer by poppincorns at 5:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2013