Save a puppy. get fired?

there is a pic of a sad looking puppy and the caption  

Wal Mart. Save a puppy. Get fired. onthe to top and   *ask store manager for details at the bottom.  I'd post it-but it would end up HUGE and I can't seem to re-size with chrome

here is the link to the story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/07/10/ottawa-walmart-hot-cars-vehicles-dogs-animals-worker-fired-cheney-parking-lot-customer.html

********************

I get that she was trying to help - but according to the story, she had been talked to about the same kind of thing a week before, and told to bring it to the managers rather than trying to deal with it herself.  Why didn't she just call the police right after talking to this guy to begin with?  I mean obviosulsy, he was determined to leave the dog -so what was waiting 5 or 10 min. going to do?    

Should she have been fired?  I want to say no, but then she had already been talked to about the same thing so...

thoughts?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 3:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

• The article reads that another employee was told to bring it to a manager's attention, not that Cheney did it twice.

She shouldn't have been fired on the spot, and she also shouldn't have confronted the owner on her own.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• What a bunch of crap! Another reason on top of many, why I don't shop at that place. That woman should be happy that they did her a favor. I bet she will find another job, maybe even one dealing with animals. There's no way in hell I'd sit back & do nothing about the dog being left in the hot truck either. I would've had the asshole paged & if he wasn't out in 5 mins, I'd break his damn window. Pet owners like that need to be locked in a hot car for a while & see how they like it!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• I don't think she should have got "in trouble" let alone fired. She is looking out for those dogs, and potentially saving the owner's ass from jail time due to animal cruelty and neglect.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

*********

Called to manager's office

Later on that day, Cheney was called into the office of her manager, whom she had spoken to a week earlier about a different dog left in a hot car and who told her there was nothing she could do about it.

Carla Cheney says people should leave their dogs at home if they're going shopping. (CBC)

She said she told him her side of the story about the dog in the truck and that he told her to come to him with any problems in the future.

Cheney said she wouldn't do that.

charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• Being fired on the spot seems kind of harsh, but I can see where the employee shouldn't have confronted the pet owner if she'd been told not to.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2013