I am a 34 year old woman and I need to lose weight but am not having any success. Any suggestions?

I have 2 kids ( 5 yrs and 8 yrs) and I am tired of being the "fat mom" I know that my kids don't see me that way but that's how I see myself. I was really skinny when I was young all the way up until after I had my daughter and I quit smoking and started eating more. It seems like I have done nothing but gain weight over the last 3 years. I am about 50 lbs overweight and nothing I try seems to help. I was going to the gym for about 1 hr every other night and trying to eat no fast food (as I'm sure that put quite a bit of weight on me) and I drink no regular soda-only 0 calorie coke. I've tried raspberry keytone diet pills and whey powder protein shakes and NOTHING seems to be helping. I would try to count calories but I always seem to be in such a hurry and honestly don't know if I can MAKE myself stick to that! I can't even seem to lose 5-10 lbs so I just feel frustrated and depressed. There has to be someone out there so has felt like this and done something that worked and lost the weight! Please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• First, ditch all the diet pills and shakes. The only thing you need is healthy food and exercise. As far as counting calories, you will need to do that at least at first until you know more about how many calories are in foods, serving portions etc. I suggest My Fitness Pal or Spark People app. It's an easy way to track your calories. You need to also find out how many calories you need each day. You can join the Healthy Weight Loss group here on cafemom and the ladies can help calculate that for you. As far as exercise, do what you can. Losing weight is 80% food, 20% exercise, however, you will feel much better and it will speed up your weight loss. Try to get in at least 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. Also, keep healthy foods on hand when you are on the go. Nuts are an excellent source of protein and energy. Good Luck on your weight loss journey.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2013

• what she said! the healthy weight loss group here can help, and they are very supportive.

here's a link:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/1111

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• There's quite a bit of research saying diet sodas actually contribute to obesity, so you might ditch those for water.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Weightwatchers. Sign up and learn to eat properly again. Even the online version is great for support because one of the hardest things about losing weight is feeling alone and if it is "your problem". And they don't count calories and there are no forbidden foods ... Honesty, it has to be one of the easiest ways of losing. Why not give it a try - even if just for one month and see?

Besides that forget all of the fad diets. They don't work. Anything that includes the word "diet" is just a quick fix. Yes, you'll lose weight and the minute you go back to eating normally, the whole lot will come piling back on with a few extra pounds besides. The only thing that works is a lifestyle makeover (getting exercise and learning to eat to be healthy).

Good luck.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 1:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Walk, drink water, and weightwatchers is the only plan that really works according to my doctor.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• If you can avoid sugar , I then stop eating after by 4 pm. It seems to be working for me , worth a try. No exercise during this.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• In addition to what the others said, eat something for breakfast to get your metabolism going every morning so your body will burn more calories all day. Also, have your doctor check your thyroid next time you go in, just in case. Thyroid imbalances make weight loss almost impossible.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:22 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Eat 3 meals a days
    watch youtube videos to motivate you
    and create your own workout routine
    works wonders
    imagine you are training to kick some major bitches ass
    it can be fun
    gl!
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 7:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• Everyone suggested great things! Exercise at your age is very important. I am 37 and I have to exercise 4 to 5 times a week to lose weight and 3 times a week to maintain. I also was eating a 2000 calorie diet and losing weight but I was eating healthy. The two key things to exercise is consistency and intensity. You may be the type to produce muscle quickly so you will see that your clothes will fit better but no movement on the scale for several weeks since muscle weighs more but takes up less room.

When you step on the scale and you do not see what you like you release the stress hormone cortisol. This is responsible for your subcutaneous fat, belly fat. I suggest ditching the scale for a 6 to 8 weeks until you have developed a routine.

Make sure your getting enough calories early in the day. If you do not your body needs 40% of your calories for basic cell function so it will demand.....
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2013

• more calories later in the day resulting in over eating/binge eating.

Previous posts said a few IMPORTANT things....NOT to skip any meals to avoid starvation mode. Eat breakfast within a hour of waking up and eat at least 200 calories.

It is important to count calories, even just for a couple of days. Again previous post suggested Myfitnesspal.com. I hate counting calories and I use it and even though I was losing weight I wanted to see my sugar intake. Here I was eating a 1000 calorie burger I didnt even realize it. Some days I was super below my calorie needs putting myself at risk for storing fat!

Another enemy is SUGAR, keep it below 9 grams per serving.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2013