What are you guys doing with your kids this summer?

I feel like summer if flying by and we haven't done much! We've had a couple water balloon fights, gone to the beach and park, and played in the sprinkler.. but those are getting old and I need new ideas! Were going to a waterpark on Monday, but need some ideas for new activities! Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Pinterest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Three weeks of camping, four weeks of swimming lessons and hanging at the beach.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Sounds like you've kept them pretty busy to me. Our weather hasn't been the greatest, but we've managed to have some cookouts & have swam 3 times. (would like that number to go up, if mother nature would cooperate! I'm still so pale :/) My dau just ended softball, but we still have their end of the year fundraiser & banquet coming up. She also takes a free art class w/ a friend once a week & has done some other 1 day fun camps. Don't know if we'll be able to make it to any amusement parks this summer. But we did go last year. Seems like we go every other year due to finances. We could go to a local fair instead. Then we have my oldest son's B-day & our family reunion at the end of next month. And my niece is getting married at the beginning of next month. :) Enjoy the rest of your summer :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Tutor for reading two times a week, Disney World vacation for nine days, the zoo many times and drawing pictures of our favorite animals, cooking favorite things together, making ice creme in a bag with rock salt, home made smoothies, visiting the farmer's market each Saturday, hiking the local trails, play dates, local library, movies, bowling, birthday parties, the pool, puzzles, painting, art in general, practicing math and handwriting, Lego contests at home, making plays and movies. The list is endless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Softball just ended (four night a week) we have passes to six flags. My oldest has to read a chapter book each month and do a book report mean mommy. We plan on going camping next month and maybe another cubs game before school starts. Sleep overs, bonfires, cooking out. This summer is going by fast.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:16 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• My kids love cooking out. We started off strong but we've been in a pattern of steamy days that end in late-afternoon thundershowers, so we've cooled of on the backyard grilling. But it looks like we are finally getting a break in the weather & can start grilling.
    Same with our use of the pool (started off strong & trailed off.)
    But seasonal eating is another fun part of summer. My kids love that corn on the cob is in season! Also berries, shelling peas, peaches in August. Soon our beans will be in.
    Other summer things: popsicles, the sprinkler, ice cream, roasting marshmallows after grilling out, watching for fireflies. I bought some short, footed sundae dishes on sale & they make ice cream seem extra special, particularly if I add whipped cream!
    August is county fair.
    Day camp, weekly trips to the library (audio books), the lake.
    But having an open schedule (time to play in the yard, draw, paint) is the best part of summer.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I forgot. Most metropolitan areas & some towns have free outdoor concerts, even weekly (like, Tuesday nights in July, etc.) You could check a paper or online for listings in your area.
    We went to hear a concert last week & packed a picnic.
    There's the weekly farmer's market.
    Some museums have special events scheduled in the summer, offering a special family rate or kids free or free events (storytime or watercolor/fingerpaint play, building birdfeeders, etc.)
    I didn't enroll my daughter in the local theater camp this year because it went for 4 weeks & conflicted with other things, but we still can get tickets & attend the afternoon performance. The local music camp gives a youth orchestra concert & stages a musical, so those are nice events.
    We have free Shakespeare in the Park that runs for a week (different locations) so we try to see one or more performances.
    But just eating lunch outside seems to be a big hit with my kids!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Well a lot of parents from my sons school put their kids in different summer camps, but for myself that really isn't an option (too expensive). I am planning on taking my son to the different programs the public library offers. I'm pretty sure a lot of libraries do not only story time, but different presentations and craft times. Also a lot of museums have different times in the month where they either offer a free or reduced admission. My son also loves going to the beach or park to "treasure" hunt. It's just a scavenger hunt but my son likes to call it treasure hunting.
    esthermolina07

Answer by esthermolina07 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• well, my 19 yr old moved out last month...
    the other will be 17 tomorrow, he pretty much does his own thing. He is not into movies much, or theme parks (we have a small one here) or concerts so... we all played Risk on the 4th of July- that was fun

yeah...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Lots of trips to the pool, a few movies and outings like mini-golf, some day camps for my daughter with field trips. Can't believe it's back to school in a month already.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2013