So if you think zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter instead of murder, you're a racist?

seems to be the consensus floating around facebook. what say you?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• They can take their tattered race card and put it back in their pockets for another day. If Martin had been any other color, this incident would never have made national news.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• i'm split on this.
    I don't think he got out of the car and said 'I'm going to go kill that guy",but he did grab his gun and walk into something that he had no idea how it would turn out
    By grabbing that gun,he decided to use it,either through intimidation,injury,or to kill

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I find the whole thing ridiculous. As one of my friends pointed out, this ALL could have been avoided if a little courtesy and civility had been used. Zimmerman could have simply said, "Excuse me, I'm with the neighborhood watch. We've had some trouble around here lately, have you noticed anything? Where are you heading?" something along those lines, Martin could have responded by explaining he'd been to the store and was on his way back to his dad's girlfriend's house, and everyone could have gone their separate ways.

But, that didn't happen, and yes, I think Zimmerman is guilty of murder. It might be technically called manslaughter, but you could call it a pink rainbow with blue sprinkles, but the end result is that he shot someone and that person is dead, and that's murder. And it has nothing to do with race - for me. I don't know if Zimmerman was motivated by race or not, and it doesn't matter.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Bottom Line-you don't walk around following someone who hasn't done anything but walk by, with a gun in your possession and not have Intention behind it. Even if it was just for intimidation-he was an irresponsible gun owner who now must pay the price.

You never pull your gun on someone and pull the trigger unless you Intend to kill.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• BS!!! How is race even entering into this?! Isn't Zimmerman of Hispanic ethnicity? So if we side w/ him, we like Hispanics over Blacks? Will the Hispanic community be all bent out of shape if it goes the other way?  Give me a break.  The sad part is that Florida police are gearing up in preparation for a riot when the verdict comes in.  What does THAT say about the behavior of people in that community?! 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• After listening to Zimmerman's call to the police and watching the trial I don't believe he is guilty of anything. It was self-defense. And I HATE that people are making this a race issue. And I HATE the people are threatening to riot and kill white people. That is racist and terrorism.  It seems to me more people care about what Zimmerman did or did not do, then the people who are threatening the lives of others.

marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 12:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I'm not participating in the race baiting card stuff. I think he's guilty regardless of the skin color of any of the players. Both legal teams have a vested interest in making it about race and I get that but I don't have to be a willing participant in it.

I wish people would take five minutes to stand back and critically examining things before freaking the hell out lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I have wondered several times why manslaughter wasn't the original charge. It seems much more in keeping with the events of the night. I completely agree with BB and Zimmerman's behavior that night (looking for conflict of some sort) was really what colored my view of his actions
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Oh but as for your actual question no, I don't think it's racist. Believing that Zimmerman had a right to follow Martin because he was a black kid and "looked suspicious" yes may be a little racist.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I don't know what I think about it. Yes, it was stupid for Zimmerman to follow Trayvon, but that's not against the law. I don't think he set out to kill someone that night, but I think he could've handled the situation a lot better. Unfortunately, being stupid is not against the law either. This jury has a tough job.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 1:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2013