Diabetes as an excuse to act like a jerk?!

I have a coworker who no one really likes & who many have said they don't want to work with. At one point she was suspected of stealing money, but nothing ever came of that, except for a change in procedure on how we deal with money we collect. Now she feels free to say rude things to co-workers as well as customers alike, but the boss is so wish-washy about it, that the last time someone mentioned her behavior, the fact that she has diabetes was given as an excuse. I call BS!!! I know people with that who do not act the way she does. But if that's how it's gonna be, then the next time I have the misfortune of working w/ her & she acts that way, I will suggest she go eat something. Of course what I have in mind probably doesn't contain sugar! lol :p

So, any co-workers piss you off lately? Or do you know anyone with diabetes who acts like a total turd?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Money & Work

• i understand being cranky when hungry, but thats no excuse for rude behavior all the time. this is not a diabetic thing, just an asshat human thing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Diabetes does not make you act like a jerk! lol I'd be really snarky and say something like, "Okay, well diabetes explains why you act that way now, but what about before you had it?"
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• that's a bullshit excuse. My mil, mom and uncle all have diabetes and they are the sweetest people I know.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• BS. I know lots of people with diabetes who are wonderful people.
    I would put her in her place.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• it sounds like shes using it as an excuse but my grandfather has it and he does get a lil cranky while is blood sugars low. Hes a very calm collected man but when he would get cranky id tell him papa have u checked ur sugar . he would check it and it would be low . but he is no where near jerky
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• My grampa was a diabetic. He REFUSED to follow a diet or take his insulin like he was supposed to. When he'd go into a sugar low, he'd become delirious, and throw things at my gramma.

It's no excuse, but it may be a SMALL contributing factor.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• We have a guy here at work that doesn't do what he's supposed to, trashes the company van, treats the ladies like he's the boss, passes on everything he can for someone else to do, lies, etc and he can't use the excuse that he's diabetic. Unfortuantely he's still around. They've talked about firing him but then he blows smoke up the bosses butt and she's all happy again just because he noticed how the shirt she has on brings out the color of her eyes, etc. GAG!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Poorly managed diabetes may make a person irritable because of blood sugar fluctuations, but no disability or condition should be an excuse for someone to act like a jerk. That's terrible that nothing will be done about the person, and for some who work with her and buy that crap, it will put barriers between them and diabetics they may meet in the future. It's a shame.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:11 AM on Jul. 16, 2013