DMV,,, do you have an opinion about Walmart not opening all 6 store in DC? Do we really need 6 more? Or should we be more supportive of the "mom & pop" stores?

I live in PG County and can pull up 20 locations in the surrounding area. Why does Dc need 6 more? Personally the opportunity to increase the living wage of DC residents would be more beneficial for the families in the long run. What do you think?
I also saw like half of the Walmart high cost / low price movie and saw some of the effects. If you've seen the video, did that influence your opinion?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Money & Work

• I don't understand why everyone gangs up on Walmart when almost every other national chain of anything in this country is just as guilty of anything Walmart is ever accused of.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I have been in Walmart exactly four times in my ENTIRE life. I am not a fan and I don't see why DC needs six more stores. Supporting local families with their businesses is really important. Corporations aren't looking out for "us."
    Anonymous

• If any company spends MILLIONS to prevent employees from forming a union I have a problem with... not just Walmart. That's money that they can pay their employees. I had a problem with Safeway offering me $7.50/hr for part-time "what ever hours we can give" a week and in the same breathe saying that union fees were like $11 or $12. Because of the area / size of DC I can't see needing 6 of any one big box store no matter what the name... Walmart, Cosco, whatever.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I don't like Walmart that much anymore. It's changed a lot from the earlier management style, but it's the only store in my area with a decent selection. Target is way understaffed though prices have been about the same as Walmart. I wouldn't shop at Kmart b/c it's always messy, but there are few Targets and Kmarts combined in my area. If it means bringing more jobs to the area, then it's good for the economy. In my area, they treat employees pretty well. Many of them get subsidized college education through Walmart University vendors. I'm hoping for a better version of Walmart from a new competitor though. There are a few European chains looking to expand to US markets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• more jobs
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• more jobs would be nice but paying a decent wage to people is much nicer. even at $12.50 it's difficult to afford housing, food, transportation, etc. especially with kids.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2013