To those to whom this belief applies:

Religion is largely determined by culture and geography.  

Why would your god choose to save only those who live in certain areas (or belong to certain tribes, families, etc)?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Religious Debate

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I always wondered that. Most churches have excuses, like they will be given a second chance to believe? The Mormon church for sure. That's why they baptize the dead.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• well, there is always the fact that they are supposed to go spread the word to others who have not heard it...or have not accepted it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• *also, interesting that this has been here for hours and it seems there are no takers...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• This is definitely just one of the issues I have with some organized religion. I have a friend who is Buddhist. She is the most spiritual, giving, loving, peaceful person I know, but because she doesn't accept Jesus as her savior, she isn't allowed in "heaven". But people like Jimmy Swggart, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, etc.. .  are going? They accept Jesus as their savior, they ask for forgiveness when they sin, so they get the golden ticket? Doesn't make sense to me.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• I'm Jewish:

We don't believe that a person has to be Jewish to be a good or righteous person in life.
    Anyone can choose to convert to Judaism, but it isn't a necessary.
    We don't believe in proselytizing because of the above statement as well.  
    ---
    Being chosen begins with choosing.
    Not being chosen gives you the ability to choose.
    As a Jew, I choose to follow the 613 commandments, which comes with responsibility.
    More importantly, people can choose to remain unchosen: To remain who they are.
    They can remain free of the responsibilities and forego Judaism.
    Everyone has their own responsibilities and privileges.
    Birth is a testimony for a specific mission: To repair and help the world (Tikkun Olam).

collectivecow

Answer by collectivecow at 2:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• ^^^^^^
    That!
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• While religions may start as part of one culture or in one place they all have some level of universal message. For example in Islam their are Muslims in nearly every culture and nearly every part of the world. I myself am ethnically an American (Norwegian, Scottish, Irish, and Native American mix to be specific as to ancestry) which are all cultures that are far removed from the culture of the Middle East (past or present). I live in the US where I was born and my parents were born and their parents were born and most of their parents were born. So geographically I and my family have been far removed from Saudi Arabia the birthplace of Islam or the Middle East in general which would be the larger geographic region. Yet despite being so far removed from both culture and geography I am Muslim. The message of Islam (and Christianity and Judaism from what I know) is that it is a universal message for all who choose it.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 3:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I don't believe that God is limited to one appearance on this planet or one form. God appears in different ways to be better understood by people with varying perceptions. I do believe in Jesus Christ, but I don't necessarily think Jesus was the only man who walked the Earth as God. If that makes me a bad Christian, then so be it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Hi there, My God doesn't do that, may i ask what god you are talking about that does this?
    countryglammer

Answer by countryglammer at 3:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2013