Bible Stories Your Parents Never Taught You

Or:  Examples of the Bible's Imperfections (unless you find mass slaughter of women and children or the giving of virgins to the soldiers who massacred their families simply and divinely perfect)

This is in audio form, but an enjoyable listen - it challenges the morality of the Bible.

What acts of God would it take for you to consider him evil?  Is killing women, children and elderly moral? Can all of the atrocities in the Bible (and especially in the OT) be forgiven because God is God and therefore perfect?  What is your definition of divine perfection?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Religious Debate

• right now I am questioning everything so I don't know what to believe anymore. I know that from the stories that I was told whether it be Jonah and the whale... like who can live inside a whale for 3 days?? Or people that lived for 700 yrs. I just don't get it anymore. I feel like my faith has been so shaken here recently I don't even want to think about God to be honest.

How can a god let a little child be murdered or the fact that someone can be so evil. People say that God isn't the evil one, but why would he make such evil people then??? But that's where people say it's the devil, right?

I might have gone off a little bit, but that's just my thoughts right now. sorry.. :0/
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• In the Bible, not only does he allow the murder of children, he commands it.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I don't believe in blaming God for what man has written or said, especially when I don't believe most of the OT is literal ;)

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I'm sorry, Bandgeek.  I truly like you and think you have one of the most loving spirits of anyone I know, in real life or in the cyber world.  However, I do not understand how you can believe in the God of the Bible if you don't believe in the Bible.  I don't understand how you can believe in Jesus if you don't believe in Original Sin, or in the writings of the Old Testament.  

The New Testament depends on the validity of the Old Testament.  God had to sacrifice his Son (himself, really) in order to forgive the sins committed by the people he created to commit those sins.  In other words, if there was no Garden of Eden, no Adam and Eve, no talking serpent, no Tree of Knowledge, then there was no Original Sin.  If there was no Original Sin, then there was no need for sacrifice, thus no need for the Christ.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Noah's ark. Told to countless young children for countless centuries. Such an appealing story where two of every animal get to go for a boat ride with Noah and his family because he loved God SOOO much. Throw in a rainbow, the mystery of why dinosaurs and unicorns missed the boat, and you have the makings of one fantastic bible story.

From another POV, you have a story of global genocide where God drowned almost every man, woman, and child (not to mention countless animals), all because they practiced their free will and disobeyed His order to change their ways and get on the boat.

But no worries, kids! God promised never to do that again!

So... I guess morality depends on how exactly you spin the story.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Anonymous

• "However, I do not understand how you can believe in the God of the Bible if you don't believe in the Bible. I don't understand how you can believe in Jesus if you don't believe in Original Sin, or in the writings of the Old Testament. "

No worries, jsbenkert. :)

Saying that I don't believe that the Bible is literal doesn't mean I don't "believe" in the Bible. Many of us (Christians) don't believe the Bible was intended to be read literally. A lot of the passages are narratives, eponyms, etc. It's not that we reject the writings of the OT, merely that we reject the literalist interpretation - which is actually a relatively new way of interpreting the scripture, rooted in the Sola Scriptura movement of the Reformation, paired with the historical-factualism of the Enlightenment.

Continued ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Likewise, many of us (Christians) don't believe that the point of Jesus' message was "the" Atonement or sacrifice. We believe the point of Jesus was what he taught about the Kingdom of God that we can participate in here and now - the way we are meant to live in the world, loving our neighbor, and so forth.

If you really want to understand how this more academic side of Christianity (as I call it, anyway), I would recommend the works of John Shelby Spong (retired Episcopalian Bishop), Marcus Borg (scholar and Jesus Seminar fellow), John Dominic Crossan (scholar, historian, former priest, co-founder of Jesus Seminar). Spong and Borg, specifically, have books out regarding taking the Bible seriously but not literally. Karen Armstrong's "biography" of the Bible, too, goes into this kind of topic. They all explain it much better than I can, but it IS a valid way of being Christian.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Oh, and I'm pretty sure Original Sin isn't something accepted/taught by Jews. Augustine, I believe, was the first ;)

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I think the bible portrays god as a egotistical tyrant. All the sweet ways children are taught about gods love is a little disturbing to me. Noah's ark, many stories where Israel has permission to wipe out whole cities men women children infants animals. Flip it, mix it up how ever you want you can not justify his behavior IMO.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2013