what are reasons for a ten year old to have a cell phone

o0o0o0

Asked by o0o0o0 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• To play Angry Birds!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I got my 11 yo one when she started 6th grade and was staying after school. I knew when to pick her up, but didn't always know where she would be. I also like that she has it when she goes to her dad's house so I can contact her without having to go through her dad, and she sends me funny texts all weekend! When she goes to her friends house I know when to pick her up or if they are dropping her off. It makes my life easier and I worry less about her walking to/from the bus stop (even though she's usually with her brother and he has a cell phone too, I like that she has one)

Answer by missanc at 3:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• The ONLY reason I could ever think of for a 10 year old to have a cell phone would be if the child's parents are separated/divorced, and the custodial parent doesn't want to deal with the non-custodial parent, so the child can contact the non-custodial parent easier.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Idk, but my the 6 yr old next door not only has a smart phone but an iPad too. SMH.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• You can get a phone that allows only calls and set a limit, if they participate in after school activites, have divorced parents, are a latch key child. If the home has no landline, or the kid is an adventurer type, it might be good to let them have a way to call you.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• When it comes to my kids, I can't think of a single reason. To me, the only way I would get one for my kids would be if they were going to be away from me for an extended period and I didn't feel confident that whoever they were with would allow reliable communication. Most of the time, when they're with someone other than me for an event or something, that person has a cell phone and could call me, so I've yet to find a reason that my kids would need one.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Once a child starts to get into activitites that take them away from home I would consider it. They can call to say they're arriving early/late, game canceled, missed bus, etc. I would not have a fancy phone for them but a simple one that is a phone only with MAYBE texting. The understanding would also be that it is MY phone and I can claim it at any time and check who they are calling and when, etc. There would also be no phone at the table, homework time, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• My sons have had phones since they were six. I have to take them to separate practices across town for their sports, I can't be in two places at once. So they have phones in case they need me.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• none?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• They text their friends. It's fun. All the kids have them. My daughter has one. I watch her, but she just texts her girl friends and plays games.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2013