Habenero peppers

I planted 8 habenero plants this year. Holy cow, I have too many!

I've never tried them, cooked with them and I clueless how to incorporated them into my cooking.

Any advice, recipes would've greatly appreciated. :)

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 3:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Salsa if you like spicey
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Oh, those are hot! I have no advice or recipes, they are too hot for me. But good luck to you! lol

Seriously, if you've never tried them, I'd be very careful and use very little the first time you use them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• my freinds who grow peppers-use them to make salsa what else? I'm not sure...I would never touch them!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I'm scared to try them! I love spicy food, but these suckers even smell deadly. I'm making some chorizo and cheese stuffed jalapeƱos tonight...I'm tempted to dice it up and put it in the mixture....but then again maybe not. Lol!
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Wear gloves when you cut them up, get rid of the seeds, and don't even think about touching your face. Jamaican jerk pork or chicken uses habenaros, http://homecooking.about.com/od/condimentrecipes/r/blsauce13.htm

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 4:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• salsas and pureed pepper dishes. I make a fresh zchuk (a Yemenite pepper paste) and put it on toast with a light layer of cream cheese.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Balagan, would you share your recipe, please. :)
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Definitely wear gloves when dealing with them. If you have access to a dehydrator, you can dry them and they last longer. You can use them in salsa, chili, spaghetti sauce or pretty much anything that you want to add a bit of spice too.

And I second trying just a little bit.

We planted sweet heat and 2 other hot peppers. I tried just a little bit of them at first just to see if it was going to set me on fire or not.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Good Lord, woman. Did you know the juice from those peppers is added to paint that is used on ships because the heat will keep barnacles from sticking to the hull? It was on TV, on "How It's Made." If you cook with them, just use a smidge at first till you know if you like the flavor. Or, if you don't end up eating them, dry the peppers and sprinkle the flakes around your garden to keep squirrels away. That's how they make squirrelproof birdseed for feeders--birds don't mind the spice, squirrels hate it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2013