Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help to bring my children back to USA from Canada

My situation is highly volatile and messy. I'm currently going thru a divorce. My husband at that time moved to Canada in sept 2011 and abandoned me and the children. After we resolved our conflict the children moved to Canada in summer of 2012. I finally moved from Ohio In jan 2013. Once I got to Canada a day later my husband threatened to cut my neck will I slept and then grabbed me by the neck n punched me several times including in the face. I immediately called the police and unfortunately my husband was not charged bc he was a doctor in the local area and he literally got away with it. The next day I had a black eye and my husband put me on the grey hound bus and sent me back to the states . It was a 15 hr bus ride. When I returned back to Canada my husband fled with my children. I went to the courts in Canada and asked that my 11.5yr old son and 8yr old daughter be returned back at least to school. On feb 14 2013 my ex handed divorce papers to me at 9am. The next day we were in court. Bc I never lived in Canada the judge literally threw me out of the house and gave my husband our two children. I went from being the homemaker and caregiver of my children 24/7 to only visitation of two days 4 hours at a time and every other weekend. I went from a five bedroom house to a five hundred square foot apartment . I had received the worst atty and he had hired two of the best money can buy. So far I'm already in the hole $30,000. And my ex has taken my car, my house , my kids away from me. He stalks me and yet the police has done nothing.instead the police have told me that bc I have reported my ex several times that I am the most disliked. My son is suicidal and my daughter has become a very angry little girl. Every lawyer I talk tells me one thing... "Can you afford me?" The answer is no when the cost is $775/hr and they have to travel almost 3 hrs to get to that area where the court is. Here is the catcher my ex accused me of cheating on him with no proof. He did that only bc I caught him cheating with his first cousin and he did all of this in front of my two children. I found cialis and Viagra under the sink hiding. When I caught him he was furious with me And that is what lead up to everything. Now my ex openly takes my children to his cousin's or girlfriend whatever sick thing you would like to call it!! Can anyone give me any legal or non legal advice to help me bring back my USA born children to the states where they were born, breed, and raised. I have a children's lawyer and social worker involved but apparently every one is part of the "BOY's CLUB"and I am literally losing my children!!!! Can anyone help??? Is their any hope to get my wilting flowers back??? I've tried to contact my congressman and governor in Ohio but with no luck they have not called me back. I tried the FBI ... No luck !!! Are we just going to become another statistic??? I've tried reaching out to every possible government agency... Again no luck... Every door is shutting and nothing is opening up.... Help plse !! I'm very desperate and plse any help any ideas even the smallest would be appreciated!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by RubiD at 8:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I have to ask. Why did you send your children to him without going with them in the first place? I would imagine that is a strike against you; they were living away from you for several months. Then, you left without them again to return to the states. Why did you leave them with a man who abused you? These are questions that are bound to come up.

    As far as legal advice, I really don't have any. Have you looked up advocacy websites? Places that provide legal assistance for a reduced cost?

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

  • Contact our local consulate, keep raising hell until you get the help you need. Canada's laws and the US's laws are vastly different.

    Good luck

    Answer by Rosehawk at 9:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

  • So i first must tell the readers I am an Indian woman living in an indian culture but born and raised in the states. Our culture is no different than the Taliban. Honestly if you can just google how many women are killed in the punjabi culture in Toronto or Vancouver, Canada....killed by their inlaws or husband... its a norm almost in india.. and India outlawed ultrasound of the fetus only bc as soon as the family of the men would find out the baby was to be a girl... they forced the woman to have an abortion... I know first hand.. my husband forced me to have an abortion in Ohio... it took me five years to get over it!!! We women in this culture have no voice!!! It does not matter what country you live ... under a man's hand is where you live!!

    Comment by RubiD (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

  • When my ex husband abandoned 2011.... i had to get government assistance despite him making $600,000 per year. Ultimately i got a job as a researcher in Ohio. I sent my children to Canada only bc i wanted my children to get acclimated to Canada and the people there as that was to be our place to settle together. Also i was suffering from cervical dysplasia and receiving treatment. I left Ohio under the pretense that i would continue my treatment in Canada and that i would be the homemaker and caregiver.

    When i left the second time... i was literally put on the bus! He drove 3 hrs to Toronto to put me on the grey hound bus! My daughter cried and cried and cried. I wanted to take my children with me but he forbade me. I know its very hard to understand but when a man controls your very breath you breathe only then you will understand what i was made to go thru.

    Comment by RubiD (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

  • No he abandoned you and you sent them to him. You could have kept them with you but you CHOSE to send them to him out of the country. Basically you abandoned them and relinquished them to his care.

    You are not going to find too may ways around that
    In the states NO one can force you to get an abortion.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:39 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

  • If you are a US citizen then you need help from the US consulate. Unfortunately since you sent the children to him it doesn't look good.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

  • Lawyer!!!

    Answer by louise2 at 5:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.