grown children see my parents undermine me all the time. now they do it, they disrespect me in front of my parents and they let them.

What do i do now? I usually blow off their undermining but i finally said enough. Now i dont talk to my 2 oldest children or my parents. I told them this is wrong how could they do this. They say its all me that i am crazy.

hopeless2203

Asked by hopeless2203 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• Without specific examples can't say.  How are you actually being undermined?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• You're expecting your parents to scold your grown children for treating you poorly?

Why don't you stand up for yourself and tell them to knock their shit off when they start? It's not your parents job to jump to your defense.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• the grown children didnt learn this behavior overnight
    you allowed them to disrespect you when they were younger

you were crazy for allowing kids to treat you like shit- and then you changed the rules of the game half way through
    of course everyone thinks youre crazy
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• If they're grown they don't have to listen to you. They'll make their own mistakes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Horse is out of the barn.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:18 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• If you have been allowing it all this time and then suddenly want changes you are battling uphill.
    You do not ask a question but I would suggest therapy and eventually you and the therapist may wish to ask your children to participate.
    Cutting you people out of your life is not going to make you happy.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Children carry on as adults what they have seen, probably this disrespect has been going on forever, and you want this to magically go away now that they are adults? it doesn't work hat way!

Answer by older at 8:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• At this point, treat your grown children like you would anyone else in your life. If they won't respect you and it's a big enough deal, have no contact with them unless and until something changes. Their actions are not in your control, yours are.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2013