How to highlight dark hair?

Additional Details
I have black hair and I want to get all over highlights. I don't have 100 dollars to go to a hair dresser so I want to do it at home. When I got it done at a hairdresser before all she do was bleach my hair until it turn the color I wanted. But my aunt says that first I bleach and then I dye with the color I want.
so which one is the correct method?
By the way has anyone try the loreal quick blue powder bleach? Does it work good? And what volume developer would be good my aunt says 40 or 50. what are some good products to use at home?
My aunt says Loreal is best, what do u think?

This is how I want it to look
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=96241844&albumID=497257&imageID=4125971

And this is how it looks now
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewTaggedPhoto&friendID=96241844&imageUserID=230308458&imageID=24147569

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• do u have black hair color right know or is natural dark
    Anonymous

• My hair is naturally black But since it was highlighted before I dyed black to look like my natural hair color
    Anonymous

• I would tend to agree with your aunt, I've always had to bleach then re-color. As far as bleaching to the proper color? Maybe that's a skill I don't have as an amateur! I love the loreal dyes, but it's been a long time since I've bleached anyone's hair so I can't recommend. I know I used to get it from Sally's.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• They have always just applied the bleach to my hair and I used 30 developer because I dye my hair a lot
    Briklin

Answer by Briklin at 3:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• yes you have to bleach it and then re-color. Unless just teh bleach gets it the color you want.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 3:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2009