Travelling with 2 kids

DS is 5 and DD is 1. I am driving a little over 1,000 to visit family and some friends. I do plan to stop halfway and stay with/visit family for the night. It is about an 18 hour drive so what are some ideas for entertainment? DS can't read yet but he likes to draw and color. I plan to buy crayons, markers and coloring books and pads. Since DD still rf's it would be hard to fairly entertain them both with a dvd player. I might bring along my xm radio since it has a kids station. I need a lot if ideas please! thanks!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hit the dollar store
    they have lots of inexpensive car trip items
    at every potty break rotate the toys out so the kids dont get bored
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Does anyone you know have a portable DVD player? We have one in our Excursion and movies are a lifesaver for long trips! We always hit redbox before we leave.

Answer by missanc at 11:10 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• I would break up the trip as much as possible. I started doing road trips with my 3 when the "baby" was 2.5. We took our time and walked around small towns, hiked in National Parks, saw the London Bridge, and just stretched our legs. They brought stuffed animals, plastic figurines, colored, read (or looked at books,) and figured out their own entertainments. I practiced colors with my youngest with the color of cars and semis.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• I am definitely taking my time. I am renting a car though so unfortunately I have some limited time.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2013

• Leave in the middle of the night when they are sleepy!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:01 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• I would do that but I am stopping to visit family on the way and I would hate to arrive there after midnight. Not fair to them. I am planning to leave really early, and in my mind they will still be asleep; DH and I carefully place them in the car and they remain asleep lol. We'll see!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• I started road trips with my son at age 8 mths. Well the first one was really at 2 mths but it was by airplane and only about 3 hours.

First car trip was 11 hrs. At that age he slept a good junk of the time, even when he was a 1 1/2. He is now 5. We pick out toys to take, listen to the radio, color and take frequent breaks to let him run around a bit. We don't usually leave super early or late per say.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• I want to leave super early so we arrive at the family residence at a decent time considering the many pit stops we will be taking
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• You better hope they sleep most of the time.
    Is is posible to do the road trip at night so they sleep most of the trip?

Answer by louise2 at 5:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Do you have an ipad? That would keep the 5 year old occupied.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:43 AM on Jul. 13, 2013