Anyone know why I;m dieting, counting calories, and working out 4 times a week, but still can't loose a pound?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I am right there with you. I have been working out 4-5 days a week and counting every calorie that I am eating and still nothing. I was actually going to ask a similar question. I hope someone can help the both of us on this one.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Don't look at pounds, look at inches. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are lifting weights at all, you are building muscle which will lost fat, but gain weight.

Also, when you are working out, are you doing cardio? That is the way to lose weight, get your heartrate up. Bike riding, fast paced walking and arobics are all great ways to do that.

And how many calories are you allowing yourself daily? If it is not enough to sustain your body, then you are going into ketosis which is where your body is going to keep everything that you eat because you are starving it. Find out what calorie count is good for your current body type/weight so that you are not starving it. Generally a 1200 or 1500 calorie, well balanced diet, will be good.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Oh, and also watch your salt intake, and drink lots of water.

I work out about 2 days a week, and I lose an average of a pound a week. I have gone from 180 down to 170 since mid-January, and as far as eating I cut out junk food and soda, and everything else I eat normal except I cut my portions in half (which is actually cutting it down to an actual portion size - we, as American's, tend to serve large portion sizes and therefore over-eat)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• How many calories are you eating a day? My trainer had me on 1300 calories a day spread out in 5-6 meals, 100 grams of protein in those calories, 5 days a week cardio (running, stair climbing) for 45 min, 2 days a week weight lifting. In 6 weeks I only lost 10 pounds, but I lost 3 inches off my waist, 2 off each arm, 1 off my calf. Can you give us details of what exercise you are doing and how many calories you are eating?
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• 1200 calories and Curves for women im doing
    Anonymous

• I would say to kick up your cardio. Try running or stair climbing at least 4 times a week for 45 min.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It is normal to hit a plateau in your weight loss journey at one point or another. Make sure that the calories you do eat aren't empty. Make your calories work for you. Eat oily fish, nuts, seeds and fruits. Going to the gym is good but you should be active at least three times per day each day. I recommend bouncing on an aerobic trampoline before each meal. 5 minutes of bouncing is equivalent to 15 minutes of jogging. Good luck!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I know this might sound crazy, but make sure you are getting ENOUGH calories too! If you are eating less than 800 calories per day, your body will kick into starvation mode and you won't lose weight.

Bijou

www.huskynomore.tsfl.com

Bijou.I

Answer by Bijou.I at 9:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• you may need to eat a little bit more. how tall are you how much do you weight?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I was in the same boat...eating less, working out more and no change on scale BUT my clothing was getting looser...now the weight has started to drop as well. Muscle weighs more than fat but burns more calories...if you haven't been fit you might be building the muscle (hence no change on scale)

Don't forget to add some type of weight training to your fitness routine to help burn even more PLUS tone you up even quicker. Low weight higher repitions was what the trainer recommended to me to tone without bulking up...

You didn't put all the weight on overnight it won't leave that way either...
    tiggerrrt

Answer by tiggerrrt at 1:30 PM on Feb. 22, 2009