What would you recommend to treat pain for a tooth coming in?

My 6 year old son has his permanent molar coming in and it has been the most painful thing for him. It has swelled, but he does not have an infection. I have tried local numbing medication but it doesn't help. I do not like to give him oral pain medications too frequently, but he is in such pain that I do not know what else to do. Any other recommendations will be great.

esthermolina07

Asked by esthermolina07 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you Google, Teething Pain, 6 year molars, American Dental Association- you will discover it is quite common to experience pain. The tooth is breaking through the skin.
    Remember, it is no different than when infants gnaw on everything, drool and become fussy as those front teeth come in.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Go to the dentist. My kids never had any pain at all from teeth coming in. Something might be wrong.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:08 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• popsicles
    you can make your own if you are concerned about additives
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2013

• My Son complained of mild pain. He had a little swelling & the skin was loose around the new tooth. Give him Children's Motrin or Children's Tylenol to lessen the pain. If he runs a fever he needs to go to the Dentist ASAP!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Since Motrin has an anti-inflammatory in it, that would probably help most w/ his discomfort. If the topical stuff like Ora-gel isn't working, then I guess a Popsicle would be your next best choice. I suppose rubbing the gums with whiskey is out of the question?! lol :p  GL - I hope he gets better soon :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Anal Eze.
    No joke.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• I was thinking the same mompam
    my kid had a marathon tooth loss lately,4 molars in a month,and none of his hurt

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I have made an appointment for the dentist, to just be sure it isn't an infection. The swelling has gone down though. I Gave him Motrin, and had him suck on ice. Put more Oragel. I also had him gargle warm water with salt (this I found online, the salt helps dry out the mouth and kill bacteria if there is an infection).
    esthermolina07

Comment by esthermolina07 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2013