Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the proper way for a child to address a male friend of the family.? Example: a female is addressed "Miss Lisa".

I would like to teach my daughter the proper way to address a male friend of the family. I am trying to teach her to address females friends of the family as "Miss Judy" or "Miss Lisa". But I am not sure if "Mr" is the most proper for a male. I could be wrong. Any advice would be helpful.


Asked by Mom-of-Hope at 1:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • All of my kids friends call my husband and I Mr. and Miss. and then our first name. I am okay with it! We live in the south and everyone elses kids do it. It took some getting used to. I feel that its very respectful.

    Answer by TiffanyH528 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • Mister sounds fine I don't see nothing wrong with that. Eventually they will get there.

    Unless you want to use Junior...LOLlaughing


    Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • I wouldn't call "Miss" proper. "Ms." would be better and less likely to offend. "Miss" used to be the title used for un-married women. "Ms." encompasses all women and is less offensive. I don't know what you'd use besides "Mr." We are teaching our daughter to be respectful by calling people what they wish to be called. Some friends of the family will be Ms. and Mr., while others go by their first names. We ask what they wish to be called, and that is what we teach her. I HATE being called anything by my first name and I always ask people to please have their children call me by my first name. I think it's more proper and polite to ask folks how they wish to be addressed. But If you want to stick with titles no matter what, I'd use "Mr." and "Ms."


    Answer by StarLee at 1:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • The correct term for addressing a child is Master.

    Answer by nursekeck at 1:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • Lol, uh my kids won't be calling anyone "master"...that is so slave times. I like Mr ad Ms though.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 1:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • "master" is what an adult calls a little boy, not the other way around! (ex: "hello master thomas") and yeah, I haven't seen anyone but the elderly use that term anymore.

    If you want your kids to call women miss or ms or mrs...then they should call the men mr. It only makes sense.

    Answer by JustAMom2008 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • This may sound old fashioned, but my kids call every adult in our neighborhood Mr or Mrs Smith, etc. I cringe when some of these little kids call me by my first name. It is sooooo disrespectful. I guess times have changed. Kind of sad. One funny friend named her son "Bates". I see the posts that talk about young boys being called "master". I don't think my friend really considered that when she named her son!! (Master Bates!!!!)

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • The reason I am trying to teach my daughter to use "Miss" or "Mr" is because that is what the kids in my daycare will call me and I've noticed some of my friends who work at daycares are referred to in the same manner. And of course I always try to ask what someone would prefer to be called too.

    Answer by Mom-of-Hope at 10:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2009