Tv is not bad if.....

Your child learns from it...example...th sun is a star. Yes things I would never think to teach a 4 yr ols. and she learned it from tv, she says. Gondula (sp) didnt know that until I was a teach. Has any of ur kids just say something from tv that was way about their age...or are these things 4 year olds know now and I am out of touch with the times?

libramoon007

Asked by libramoon007 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• they can learn from tv
    the problem is when people use tv as a babysitter so they don't have to pay attention to their kids for hours - or when they watch inappropriate things
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• As long as there is moderation and constant supervision, there are no worries.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• We use TV in our homeschooling. I'm selective about what I use as educatiional - sticking pretty much to Discovery, History, Nat Geo, Animal Planet and the Science Channel. With those channels, I generally trust the information given, but in those instances where I think something might not be quite right, we then follow up what we watch with some research to confirm the facts.

TV can be very educational, when it's used properly. Sitting in front of Spongebob isn't educational (well, okay, I've learned that talking yellow sponges and pink starfish are annoying, but I don't think that counts), but watching Mythbusters or a miniseries about North America can be very educational.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• We do not watch television with rare exceptions. I find television can be an opportunity to experience parts of the world you would not normally experience. My five year old loves Opera as a result of watching it on PBS. I translate and he loves the stories. Travel and nature shows are excellent. I look at television as a tool not a chance to watch some dumb ass Sponge Bob.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Just because kids can learn from tv doesn't mean they should. A small children they are developing their habits, including their learning habits. If you have a child who is used to obtaining new information through multimedia they are going to have a hard time transitioning over to 'book learning' or classroom learning. They will become bored with out the flashy and cleaver fact being presented to them in a highly visual manner. Children who are media learners tend to get labeled as behavior problems or as ADHD when in reality they just has a different learning style One that can't be accommodated by a school. So while TV is fun and an expected part of children's lives it should not be over used because they 'can learn from it' TV should be limited and hands on learning should be explored A nature walk, a trip to the children's museum, play dough, legos, coloring.... those are all, believe it or not great training
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• for motor skills as well as concentration and learning to complete a project. Not to mention READING! Kids can learn so much just by being read to! Even a story about a talking duck leads to learning about biomes. Ducks live in water. They swim. They eat litle fish. ect... plus comprehension skills.

So yes. TV teaches and amazing number of facts but you would be even more amazed at what they can learn with the tv off when you put some effort into it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I understand what u are saying...she doesn't have a behavior or learning problem. I am just stating they learn things from tv ,things that were not taught to me u til much much later. She goes to school and we play outside, color, read ect. I am not saying to learn that way. I say tv can be another good tool to learn from. In my day cartoons had no educational value...purely entertainment. I am glad tv is something more now.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• TV is not bad if it is viewed in moderation and issues broght up in shows are discussed in a family setting.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I do think there are a number of shows that are highly educational. I don't think the tv should be used as a babysitter, nor do I think 5 hours of Dora the explorer or Umi-zoomie is better than 5 hours of spongebob. It is still 5 hours in front of a tv. Use it sparingly and it can be a great resource. DS loves the documentaries on the history network and some of the other channels and on Netflix. I don't mind using it as a supplement for his other lessons and I also don't mind him watching 30 min of Spongebob every once in a while.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I don't like sponge bob. Well, she is in daycare so she doesn't get 5 hrs of tv and weekends not at home. She just picks up things. Everything is educational. Also tv, computers are going to be part of their lives. It's good to use those resources.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2013