Zimmerman found NOT guilty

thoughts?
I'm disgusted

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm honestly surprised. In my opinion there was more than enough evidence to convict him of manslaughter.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Even though Zimmerman was found not guilty (which I agree with, btw), there are no winners here. This is and will always be a tragedy. A young man who needed a lot of help is dead and will never receive that help, will never become who he could have been. And Zimmerman, though acting in self-defense, will have to live with the fact that he did kill someone for the rest of his life. That is a terrible burden to bear, and he will never be free from it.

There are so many ways this could have been avoided, but it happened. We could play 'woulda, coulda, shoulda' for the next 10 years, but it won't change anything. My heart aches for Martin's parents. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child. But my heart also hurts for Zimmerman for the pain he also carries. There is no victory here, people. The justice system worked correctly, but nobody truly won.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I have to agree with the jury. I believe he did this in self defense and of course it is sad that a child died but I believed Zimmerman story.
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 10:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Not surprised at all. I watched the trial. I would have agreed... nothing there to convince me of anything. Again, I wasn't there. They failed to convince me that it wasn't self defense. I called that a few days ago... remember.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Aaand here I am with my apparently unpopular opinion.

As a human, I find GZ's actions understandable.
    As a 911 dispatcher, I find his actions typical.

This tragedy was nothing more than one adult and one young adult making a series of less-than-stellar (but not criminal) decisions that led to a brutal outcome.

And yes, I include TM in the bad decision making because he had 4 minutes to go home/get to safety that he ignored, instead opting for a fight.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I don't understand the protests. I get that people are unhappy with the outcome, but it's over and he can't be retried. And what of the thousands of other nameless, faceless, hoody wearing black youth that are gunned down in other cities that have never been mentioned or rallied for? Or Hispanic youth? Frankly, I find the attachment to this issue by many that don't show the same disgust for the thousands of other dead teenagers / children a bit whorish. I'm quite sure that this will be an unpopular opinion, but it struck me as I was reading all of the responses to the verdict in all of the public forums and articles. I am sad for all involved in this situation, but I don't see it as any different than any other senseless murder.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• And yes, I'm surprised. I don't know how he was found not guilty. Stupid Florida.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• I'm not surprised. The fact remains that if Zimmerman hadn't followed Martin, no one would give a fuck about either of them. Idc what anyone says, you don't fucking follow suspicious looking people. Dh has seen plenty of suspicious people walking around our neighborhood, and never once, not ONCE has he ever considered following them. He instead calmly called the cops and gave a detailed description of the individual and the place they were last seen. Common fucking sense goes a long way, and Zimmerman obviously has none, the idiot.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I watched the trial from beginning to end, I knew this was going to be the verdict, the prosecutors did not prove a thing, and I for one knew this would be the verdict.

Answer by older at 7:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• ". Idc what anyone says, you don't fucking follow suspicious looking people." anime_mom61
    I worked as a security officer for a number of years before I became a police officer. You see someone who is doing something suspicious, or looks suspicious like Martin was because he fit the description management gave Z, and what the police described the people who were caught breaking into homes. 4 of them that were caught were young black males in dark clothing. You do follow them to see what they are doing, even perhaps ask for ID or even asking them do you live here? If so where? None of this would have happened either if Martin wasn't "profiling" Zimmerman and saying "creepy ass cracker is following me" He could have stopped and asked Z if he wanted something, or whatever, no he decided he had show off for his g/f..
    Zimmerman was doing what the people living there wanted him to do. He called also called 46x in a year to the PD.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2013