My son has a swollen tonsil but no other symptoms (maybe TMI)

Have you ever heard of this? This has been going on for a month now. I first noticed he had bad breath like from sinuses. I checked his throat and saw the swollen tonsil. But, he had no fever, no pain, no other symptoms. (My son doesn't complain even when he is really sick, so I have to keep an eye on him). His nurse practitioner (we see her when the pediatrician isn't in the office) said his throat looked read and ordered a rapid strep test which came back negative. She prescribed an antibiotic anyway just in case.

I have an every other week custody schedule with his father so I didn't see him for a week. When he came back to my house he was only due 2 more doses of the ten day antibiotic but his tonsil was still swollen and the other one had become swollen. Also the tonsil that had swelled first had white spots on it. So, I called the pediatrician and he ordered another strep test and mono test. Both were negative. The doc's explanation was that maybe it was viral. I'm no doc but I know that tonsils are supposed to filter out bacteria and can become swollen when too much bacteria is present.

I'm wondering if maybe my son hasn't been taking his prescription allergy medicine at his dad's. His dad only gives it to him "when he has symptoms" but sometimes that is too late. So, I'm wondering if he's had some sinus drainage that his dad and I may have missed and that is causing the swollen tonsils. Another two weeks have passed and although the tonsils look better and no white spots, both are still swollen and I can see pits where the white spots were. Still no other symptoms other than my son being a little tired and cranky. I am going to call the doc again and see what he says. I feel like I'm over worrying but this isn't normal. Have you or your child experienced this?

HHx5

Asked by HHx5 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• tonsil stones maybe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• The white spots signify something is going on, for sure. Since the strep test came back negative twice I'm thinking something viral, especially since the antibiotics didn't put a dent in it.

That said, it seems like a long time for him to be fighting a viral infection. I don't think you're over worrying in this case. I'd take him back, maybe have some blood work done to rule anything else out. If that all comes back clear it may just be a time issue
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• If dad can't give the medicine on time, as prescribed, then dad doesn't get his visit. Period. Maybe there is something at dad's triggering more symptoms?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• Yeah... I was going to say tonsil stones too. My brother gets them...they are pretty gross.

Hope you get it figured out. Definitely call the doctor and ask about them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I agree with Butterfly
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• His dad and I have gone around and around about this. He doesn't want to "over-medicate" him. But, this is a preventive allergy medicine (Singulair). Once his nose is running, then he starts coughing, then it may settle in his chest and at that point, the doc calls it "asthmatic bronchitis." He used to be really bad with this every year especially during winter. But, he has almost grown out of it for the most part. It would really make my life and our son's life easier if the dad would agree to less time. He won't agree which means I'd have to go to court (I live in a state where co-parenting is presumptive and preferred so the standard is high for a change of visitation). When I talk to the doctor I will bring the allergies up again and see what he says. His dad has dogs in the house but I don't think my son is allergic to dogs, just seasonal stuff and dust.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2013

• I googled the tonsil stones. That does sound like what this is. Thanks, butterflyblue!
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2013