Would you be proud of your son for standing up?

Our son, almost 15, is on our town's All Star baseball league...his 4th year in a row. Last year his team won the state championship. He is a great all around player, pitches very well...his coaches put him in many times in high stress situations...bases loaded no outs, and he never gets nervous. He has a gift in that regard.

Coaches always tell me he is a wonderful team player who keeps everyone's spirits up during games and practices. Handles himself in a mature manner.

This year, a player decided to quit the team...something that is very rare as the boys must agree ahead of time to commit to the schedule of practices and games. The boy is a friend of my son's and is a nice kid...apparently he felt he wasn't getting the same treatment as the other boys on the team, especially since he's older than most of the others.

When the other boys on the team found out he left they started bad mouthing him and one day, when his jersey with his name on it came in, some of them said "we should burn it".

My son said he just kind of snapped and spoke out to them yelling in effect, (not exact words) "Cut it out! He's a friend of mine. We're here to play ball. Just focus on what we're doing."

Coach called him to the mound after practice and I later found out when I talked to the coach that he made sure my son understood that the boy who quit left them one less player, and took a spot that another kid would've loved to have.

He wanted to be sure my son was in the right frame of mind to play...and he noticed my son wasn't the same happy go lucky kid at practices. He did say he was glad my son said something to the others.

I was proud of my son for standing up to the boys who were bringing negative energy to the team, and trying to put a stop to it.

From what I've seen lately, team chemistry seems much better, although I do wonder if some of the parents are looking at me in a different light because my son yelled at theirs.

Do you think he did the right thing?

dflygirl7

Asked by dflygirl7 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 14, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Your son did the right thing and really, who cares what the other parents think.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Couldn't agree more....he did the right thing. Be proud.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:02 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Yes, he absolutely did the right thing.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• He definitely did the right thing, and you should be so proud of him. He sounds like a great kid.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• He did the right thing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:13 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• He did great. Be proud, Mom. It takes guts to stand up to your friends at any age.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2013