Who should pay?

I have to go anon on this one for personal reasons.

Lady down the road wanted to sell her mom's car. It was broke down in another city bout an hour from here. My dh wanted it. Badly. He kept saying all it needed was a simple part.

Well, she got a friend to tow it to his repair shop. It sat there for 5 months. Her friend kept coming up with excuses as to why he hadn't looked at it. One excuse was his cat died and they were in mourning, ( no joke).

Dh was itching at the pant leg to get this damn POS car. Why, idk because it didn't run! Any ways, he told the lady that his brother( also a mechanic) would look at it to find out what was wrong with it. She finally agreed and his brother towed it to his shop.

His brother spent 3 hours diagnosing it nd determined the motor was blow and worthless without a new one. He is insisting the lady pay him 500 dollars for his time and diagnostics before he gives her the car back.

Lady thinks we should pay for it. Should we?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2013 in Money & Work

• whoever authorized the vehicle to go to that particular shop is responsible for the monies owed

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:27 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Who holds the title on the vehicle?
    That's who should pay for it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Chances are lady had it at her "friends" repair shop because he had offered to do the work for free (which is why it sat there for 5 months ignored because he hadn't gotten around to it, granted for stupid reasons but he wasn't charging her to have it there). You hubby should have made it clear to the lady that his brother would find out what was wrong for a fee and your husband should have consulted with his brother about it as well. If your husband was so adamant about getting the car I think he should have purchased it from the lady in the condition it was in and then handled the inspection with his brother on his own. He acted under false pretenses. As for who should pay. I think your husband should be courteous enough to offer to cover SOME of the cost, since he recommended his brother and did not inform the lady of the cost. Otherwise go to small claims court
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I feel sick over this whole thing. I feel like its Dh's fault and we should pay.

However, BIL never said anything about his fee, charging, etc. His exact words were, " Bring it over here and I'll take a gander at it."

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I would tend to agree with you, OP, and your husband should pay the bill which would never have been incurred without his instigation.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• His Brother should just tell her to pick up the car, chances are she won't & he can sell it for parts. The favor was done for your DH (his Brother) so he didn't have to pay for a lemon. If he insists on the money from this woman then he's a creep.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:50 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• If it has to be paid, I do think your husband should be the one who pays it, since he's the one who asked for it to be done and brought it there.

However, if the words you used were his brother's exact words, I'd argue that there was no discussion of payment. I would argue as I would if I took my car to a repair shop: If you didn't give me an estimate of what it would cost, and simply did the work on your own without my authorization, you cannot now expect me to pay whatever charge you come up with. I should have been given an estimate and the option to decline the work, if I wanted.

Your husband's brother should have told him it would be $500, and then your husband could have said no, or talked to the woman to discuss how it would be handled.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• $500 for only three hours of time and diagnostics is outrageous! I would ask to see a detailed version of the bill. I do feel like your husband should be responsible since he was the one who requested. She was originally selling the car as is. (at least this is what I am gathering).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• You have the right to be upset, But no contact no pay even then hard to collect. Sorry you are caught up in that. Always best to have an agreement in place or just refuse Wish I had, in the end I did not like the people and turned them down. long story, just glad they are gone minus what we lost.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• No one should pay. He did it as a favor.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2013