Should I feel gulity about staying home from family vacation

I just sent my husband, our 7yr old daughter & our 8yr old son on a four camping trip with just Dad. But it's not "camping" it's a 34ft camper with amenities & the campground has many pools etc. for the kids (Yogi Bear campground)
Well I've been feeling out of emotional balance since our house is a MAJOR MAJOR mess! Plus at doc day before family is leaving he said I'm dehydrated & might have a stomach virus to get rest
I really don't like this campground, we always go there, would love something new
Plus my husband just complains about money & is moody.
BUT family just left 1hr ago not sure if I should have them turn around & come back to get me. Feeling guilty, but at same time need space. I'm a stay at home Mom, get time when kids in school but ALWAYS with them. Do I deserve this?
Hoping I can get motivated to clean up this house

mom1767

Asked by mom1767 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• When I was married, we took the kids camping almost every weekend in the summer. There were times when I really needed to get things done at home, wasn't feeling the greatest, and my then husband was crabby. I went anyway and everybody was miserable.

There were also times that I stayed home to get better and get things done around the house. The kids had a blast with just dad, he appreciated me more, and I felt better having my own "working vacation".

Don't call them. Rest up, get some things done around your house and think about how you can be with them the next time they go.

Yes, you DO deserve some time to yourself.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• No, do NOT call them. You need some time WITHOUT them and from your description this would not be a vacation for you.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2013

• If its a family vacation then it should include you. But sending kids off for some time with just dad is also a good thing.

Answer by missanc at 12:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I think if it's only once in a while that you skip out it's ok to have a Daddy day or something for the kids. As long as it's not every single time that they go without you then yes it's ok
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Yes, you deserve it. Don't exhaust yourslef cleaning the house. Prioritize. Get the rest you need.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I could not do this. That is me personally. I would engage DH to help cleanup and ask him to take kids on short field trips. Yesterday my DH took DS on a walk for alone time,DH specified he wanted DS time and I felt bad staying home watching a movie.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Woohoo! As long as he is capable of taking care of the children stay home and get everything in running order again. If you get lonely drive out there in a few days. Don't make them backtracked to get you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• This is the eternal conflict with moms, we are masochists!!!!!!!!! dam if we do and dam if we don't...but really they are out there creating memories and you won't be part of those, this is where the guilt comes from....just follow your heart, the house will always be there, but those kids will grow up in a blink of an eye and gone....

Answer by older at 1:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• You do not DESERVE this, but there is nothing wrong in asking hubby to take them on a trip by himself.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I sure the hell wouldn't! But then again, my husband is a military man, and I get left at home for up to 7 months at a time with my kids. I need a break from them too! In fact, you got me thinking about asking my husband to take the kids to Reptile Gardens for a couple hours when he gets back, just so I could have the house to myself (with exception of the little bit who's still nursing).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2013