Emotional 7 year old?

So my 7 year old Levi has been just so emotional this summer. He is not normally this emotional but last week his 3 year old brother made him cry. Levi is usually not sensitive at all, he is my rough and tumble, wrestling, hockey and football playing boy. Has anyone elses child just all the sudden been very emotional and sensitive? My husband and I have tried taking Levi and doing more special things with him one on one. Nothing is working, and he has just been for lack of a better term a cry baby. He will cry at the drop of a hat and I feel bad because nothing that my husband and I have done for him has worked. Please help!

Sydneemumo4

Asked by Sydneemumo4 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If this is a sudden change, it's worth a call to your pediatrician.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• What do you mean that nothing you've done for him "has worked"?
    How do you usually respond when he is upset about something or starts crying?
    Is it clear at the time what the upset is? (Even if the upset seems out of proportion to the stimulus, is it clear what set him off or what he's upset about?)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Did something happen between him and another child/children that may have upset him? Being bullied can bring this type of behavior on.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Because this is a sudden change I would call his doctor for an appointment. Children of all ages can experience anxiety and depression. His presentation is consistent with both. Or it could be he needs extra attention and this is his way of getting it. I would look at what changes have occurred in the past few weeks. Is he nervous or anxious about school starting again? If you can't think off a trigger then calling his doctor would be an excellent option. In the mean time having the same consistent routine you always had, catching him being good and noticing, and reward positive behavior. When he is sad or upset I personally would redirect him, nicely, to his room. If he is not feeling well that is where he should be. This way if this out of attention then he is not rewarded. Also look at sleep. Is he sleeping and eating the same as before this started.
    Anonymous

• I strongly beleive that you should put him in some kind of one on one sport, such as badminton or tennis. He need more self control and confidence.
    leo1977

Answer by leo1977 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Could he be having growing pains? I had them chronically as a child, and it did put me out of sorts sometimes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• I take him for a check-up and discuss with Dr. just to be safe.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2013