dog with mange putting oil on it??? update...

new dog with mange... im putting car oil on it? does this work?
K WELL ONE MORNING WHEN MY HUBBY WAS GOING TO WORK HE NOTICED SOMEONE PUT PUP ON OUR PORCH. HE COVERED IT UP CAUSE IT WAS FREEZING. I FEED HIM . GAVE HIM WATER. HE LOOKS BEATEN UP AND HAS THE MANGE. AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT WE THINK HE IS IN OUT SPARE BATHROOM AND MY HUBBY PUTS CAR OIL ON IT. IT IS HEARD TO CURE IT. WE DONT WANT TO PAY LOTS OF MONEY ON A VET CAUSE WE DONT KNOW IF WE WILL KEEP IT. THE KIDS LOVE HIM ( THEY DONT PLAY WITH HIMTHOUGH) AND WANT TO KNOW IF IM DOING THE RIGH THING HERE. I HOPE THAT GIVING THE DOG SOME LOVE WONT RESULT IN ME GETTING SOME RASHOR SOMETHING:(

update: well dog didnt get much better. not to be playing with kids or whatever. i was going to take him to the vet but i thought id rather get another dog... is that mean. where can i drop this one off too. we paid much for food, bed ect and want him to get some help. what do i do

himnme

Asked by himnme at 1:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Ah! poor baby I understand you wanting another (healthy) animal but I feel sorry for the one you have you baby it and now you want it out, there is no telling what kind of life he had before he met you wonderful people or maybe you are not so wonderful after all :(

See what you can find at Walmart  (for the mange) or call and ask a question at the vet, don't give up. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Bring the poor dog to a humane society where no one will abuse him by putting oil on him!!!
    Anonymous

• take him to the vet, please. My dog has demodectic and its being treated with medication . It takes several weeks. PLease stop trying to fix this yourself.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Oil is NOT a treatment for mange it is toxic and will only harm him further! If you do not want to spend more money on the dog then take someplace where someone can care for him PROPERLY which involves relatively cheap mito-ban dips to kill the mange parasite. I'm sorry to be rude but if your ability to financially/mentally take care of an animal is no better than that you don't need a dog at all.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Yep thats mean. A dog is an investment and a member of the family and is going to need to go to the vet from time to time. Drop it off with the humane society and dont get another dog.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and as far as you contracting it from the dog....while unlikely some forms of mange are transferable to humans.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If you take him to the pound they will kill him. They do not have the time or resources to get him medicine to cure it. You won't catch mange from him, but he has got to be miserable, and putting automotive oil on him is slowly poisoning him. Take him to the vet, and you will only have to pay for the first time, further checkups for the same thing should be included free. You will have to pay for the medicine, but it should be fairly cheap. It will take several weeks for him to be fully cured and for new hair to start to grow in the bald patches, but he will be so much healthier and happier, and it sounds like he will be a good dog, if he is given a chance.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• First of all, get the dog to the vet and explain the situation. secondly do not get another pet unless you can invest the time, the money and energy on the pet. you need to educate yourself on any animal before you make it a part of your household.
    Anonymous

• Who ever had the dog before you is the scumbag, for just dumpping him off in the cold. The best thing is to take him to the vet and get some help for him. My vet helps peeps that find strays with the $$$ situation and can advise you what needs to be done with this dog. They can evaluate his condition and make sure thats all he has, wrong with him. The vet will tell you if you should keep him and how mush it will cost or take him the the ASPCA. What ever you do now, is what is best for the dog by getting the best help than you can give at this time. People drop dogs off at my house all the time. I alsways have them cked out to make sure they are not carring anything my family or pets can catch. There is help out there, just ask the right people and you will get the right answers. GL with the dog and I hope you get him some help soon.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2009