How can I help my sons stay dry at night?

I don't know what else too do. I have 7 yr old twin boys and a 12 yr old son. They still have accidents at night. I've asked their pediatrician what to do. Have even tried meds for my oldest. The doctor just tells me his body has too catch up. (He is already 5'8") no drinks after 6pm potty before bed. Nothing seems too work for either of them. It's really affecting their self esteem. My lil ones are embarrassed to wear goodnites and my oldest wont spend the night at friends. Please help.

Chrismajo

Asked by Chrismajo at 6:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Urologist.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:04 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• The doctor just tells me his body has too catch up.
    height weight and age dont matter
    when the doctor said the body needs to catch up he meant the body needs to produce the correct amount of the urine reduction hormone and the hormone to wake the person when the bladder is full

here is some more information on the condition.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• That's what my oldest was on medication for but it didn't seem too help.
    I can understand being patient and waiting for hormones too be produced correctly but if I'm too be honest......I'm so tired of my house smelling like pee. I'm constantly cleaning, washing sheets, clothes. Single mom working full time. Just hoping for some advice too help keep my sanity til my children grow out of this.
    Chrismajo

Comment by Chrismajo (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• YOU dont wash the sheets. The KIDS do. They have a medical condition and having them tend to themselves empowers them.

I have a 12 yo with the condition. She has an accident, she gets up, changes herself and her bedding and then runs a load in the morning. She knows it happens. It happened to me and her Dad so she understands it's as uncontrollable as diabetes or hemophilia etc.

If they dont want to wear goodnights have you considered a male adult product?

Above all else put plastic sheets on the bed. Cleaning urine out of a mattress is damn near impossible- even with all of the products out there I "feel" as if there is always an odor.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• My daughter wet the bed later than most. I got to where I would put the sheets on her bed over a waterproof mattress cover, put another waterproof mattress cover and another set of sheets on top of that. When she woke up wet in the night all we did was strip off the top layer and go back to sleep.
    She stopped around 8, I don't have any good advice on that.

Answer by missanc at 9:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• , I don't have any good advice on that.

Dont knock yourself babe. Been there, done that is sometimes the BEST advice a mom can get!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I think just hearing others are going through or have gone through helps, let alone the great advice. Thx ladies.
    Chrismajo

Comment by Chrismajo (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• So sorry, I know it's frustrating. I agree that they are old enough to strip the sheets and take them to the laundry. Do they drink anything with red no. 40 in it? If so, my pediatrician told me that it irritates the bladder and can cause bed wetting in kids. Typically drinks like Hawaiin Punch, Kool-Aid, red Gatorade, red fruit punch, etc. other than that, that's all I've got. Good luck!
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I'm not real big on letting them have sodas or kool aid. A caffeine free soda once in a while.
    Chrismajo

Comment by Chrismajo (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Jul. 14, 2013