Am I the ONLY one who doesn't think it makes to

prescribe a child Pepcid that was diagnosed with an allergic reaction? So DH and I took our daughter to the emergency room last night for hives/welts. They diagnosed her with having an allergic reaction of an unknown source and referred her for allergy testing and sent her home with a prescription for Benadryl, both of which make sense. BUT they also gave her a prescription for Pepcid which is for heartburn? I am trying to figure out what sense this makes?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2013 in Kids' Health

• That is odd...I'm guessing she wasn't having stomach problems. I would call and ask, they didn't explain the meds before you left??
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• No she wasn't and they did, but it didn't hit me at first. I feel like a bad mother now for not catching it :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Pepcid contains fametodine, and that medication has been found useful in the treatment of hives. So no I don't think it's unusual.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Pepcid is commonly used for allergies. It suppresses the acid-mediated breakdown of proteins that lead to allergies.
    Another name for Pepcid is Famotidine.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Fametodine is a histamine 2 blocker. so yes it should help. Consider it a bonus if she doesn't get heartburn as well. I'm kind of upset they didn't explain it you, but it's not going to hurt her.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• They have given my kids stomach meds but not pepcid
    Scared2307

Answer by Scared2307 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Fametodine is a histamine 2 blocker. so yes it should help.
    THIS
    when I had an undiagnosable allergic reaction this is what i was given
    i eventually eliminated Dove hair care products and got off the med

think carefully- anything new? including anything that you have used before and are now using again

also allergies may be absent one day and present the next...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• yep can't spell today either. Famotidine. Still it is the active ingredient and still a H2 blocker.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• 2autisticsmom - LOL. Youre not a caustic bitch so I dont think anyone cared :)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:20 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I can't spell either 2autisicsmom, lol

And...I work in a pharmacy!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2013