How do I remove and keep clean mold from shower area?

I just moved into a new place. Older country home. I love it but being older it has its issues. Lets look beyond the fact that there is a window in my shower (never understood why ppl did that) but there is mold everywhere I look. On the ceiling in the shower, the window sill (wooden), the stall itself, caulking. I've scrubbed and scrubbed. Bleach, vinegar, shower cleaners, CLR, magic eraser. Repainted the ceiling. Redone the caulking. The landlord refuses too replace the window and I have a sinking feeling this problem won't go away until it is replaced. Or even if that would help since its in the shower? I'm at a loss. Disgusted every time I see it. Any ideas ladies?

Chrismajo

Asked by Chrismajo at 9:33 PM on Jul. 14, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Oh My GAWD!
    I actually know the answers to these questions. I am wiggling like a puppy dog. I am so excited :)

Ok- window in the bathroom- to release steam (shower) odor( #2)

Mold-(just discovered this the other day (someone link Stacie! she'll love this one)- mix bleach with baking soda to make a paste of desired consistency and then apply with any needed utensil - i.e. q-tip, scour brush- and let sit overnight
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• after you scrub it with bleach and rinse it spray or pour peroxide on it. That's what I have done and its worked.
    Kara242

Answer by Kara242 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Wonderful! Thank you so much ladies. I'm gonna try it right now. Cross your fingers for me.
    Chrismajo

Comment by Chrismajo (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I got this from my BIL who works in construction: If you do a bleach/water mix, is HAS to be 20% bleach, 80% water. While straight bleach is a good killer, it will only make the little pores of mold/mildew close up, not actually kill them. The 20/80 mix will kill them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Is the mold black?

Can the agency in your area that oversees rentals. Call 211 for a list of agencies. If the mold is dangerous to your health the will require the landlord to rectify the situation. If it is run of the mill mold you just have to keep cleaning it.
    The windows were in older houses to allow fresh air into the bathroom, which is prone to mustiness and mold.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:45 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I usually use straight bleach and spray it on, let it sit. But mold everywhere is not good. I agree about opening the window for ventilation.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Bleach.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 3:39 AM on Jul. 19, 2013