Can you believe in the bible...

but not in God/Jesus?? Things in the bible make me feel calm and there are things I want to use in every day life but I don't believe in god. I believe there is something bigger than all of us but don't think its him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why ask us. You do what resonates with you and that's it. That is what will work for you. Take what you like from the Bible, forget putting a name or label on God/Universe/Mother Earth, whatever, and roll with it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Someone needs to do a PSA letting new members know they can actually RESPOND to feedback in their questions.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Of course you can. Every person views the Bible in a different way. Some believe that it IS God's word while others view it as history and others as a literary work (stories). There is no right or wrong way to use the Bible or believe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I believe in both the bible and God. Of course, you can believe whatever you want. For me, the bible has life giving wisdom and life-giving peace. I believe this is because Jesus is the "Word of God become flesh" and that He is the "way, the truth, and the life......" Also, He gives us the "peace that passes all understanding." Even apart from God, the bible is full of common sense, wisdom, interesting stories.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• It's a book with some good things in it, so why not?

Believe what makes sense to you, use things that work for you. There is no right or wrong
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• You can believe anything you damn well want to. That's what makes it a "Belief"

Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I am the opposite. I do believe in God/Jesus, however, I don't believe the entire bible, if any. You are free to believe what you want to believe. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• I think you could. I think it would be possible to be a "Philosophical Christian" if you get what I mean - someone who doesn't believe in the actual person of Jesus or Being of God, but who finds truth and resonance in the messages attributed to them. Honestly, I am Christian, but if it were ever proven beyond any attempt to deny it that there is no God, I would still consider myself philosophically Christian, because the message matters so much to me. I do believe Jesus existed (though I don't believe about him the same as most other Christians), and I do believe there is a God, but those things are almost secondary to me to the teachings we're meant to apply to our lives. I find them valuable enough to not need the supernatural support for validity, if you get what I mean. The idea of being loving, compassionate, living my life in a certain way - those things are meaningful enough on their own :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• Okay okay, I apologize but, seriously, we've had 40 bazillion new people join, ask and question and NEVER show up again.

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2013

• What do you think it is if it is not God?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2013