When can I expect this rollercoaster to end?

My SO has decided that he is going to quit smoking. He has been trying for a few months but has really gotten serious in the last month. He is going to a support group and is also using the lozenges. He used to smoke a couple packs a week and now is down to a pack every 2 weeks. I'm being as supportive as I can and am very proud of him.

The problem is that his mood swings are worse than my monthly mood swings. 1 min he is all romantic, the next he is crabby, the next he is all but crying. It is driving me insane.

Can anyone tell me when I can expect this to be over?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 12:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2013 in Relationships

• It may be a while. Mine was crabby off and on for a year or two.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I know it os hard to stop smoking. Because I did it cold turkey about 20 years ago. But he sould like his hormones are all wacked out. Or he is bipolar.

Answer by louise2 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I'm not sure, I dont' smoke nor do I have anyone special in my life that does. However, I have friends that do and such and I've heard from them it's hard to quit, that yes the mood swings go on for a while, and they get crabby, either they have to learn to deal with it or they will be miserable. congrats on your man making that healthy decision to quit!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I to smoke but have only a pack a week or every 2 weeks. I hide my smoking from ALL my family. My husband's Dad even died of cancer. I too have tried to quit since I don't even smoke that much. But even if I go a day or 2 without a cigarette I also get moody & cranky sometimes.
    I give him a lot of credit for stopping. But on the other hand how old is your SO he could also being go through a midlife crisis, depression or something that needs attention, he could have a chemical imbalance where he might need medication. Hey, look at all these famous people that have come out saying I'm bipolar or something...
    I would support him but at the same time, tell him your feelings, don't yell or point the finger, just talk calmly. You might state that you can't & won't handle his moodiness etc.. to be taken out on you.
    mom1767

Answer by mom1767 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Some folks calm down when enough of the nicotine has left their system...I take medication for mood disorders and it seemed to help me kick the habit quickly...I only smoked 3 a day but even that is to much ...Give it some time and things should improve.
    hau_siyoka

Answer by hau_siyoka at 3:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2013

• Fri night we were talking about moving in together and then he started saying he was just going to sleep in the truck. Then he went outside, I figured I was just going to take a shower and go to bed. He came in the bathroom and started yelling at me for not telling him I was going to take a shower. He asked me if I just wanted him to go home. As I was drying off, my SO pulled me in his arms and apologized.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Thank you, ladies. I know quitting smoking is hard as I've watched others close to me do it. I've also watched a close family member die a horrible death from emphysema. My SO is now taking double the dosage of the lozenges and that seems to be helping. I did calmly tell him that I am on his side and will support him as much as he will allow me to.

He is only 31 so it isn't a mid life crisis.

I know we will get thru this and be stronger as a result (and healthier). I just needed to vent.

Thank you:-)
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• confusedcrying

smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Almost crying when he is apologizing to me and almost crying when he gets frustrated that we are having difficulty finding a place. We really want to buy a house and get married, but it's not easy.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2013