Ultrasound...

So i had an ultrasound to see if i have gallstones this morning. Is it normal for them to check out your pancreas and liver too? Also while she was looking she asked me if i have ever had an ultrasound on my gallbladder liver and pancreas is that normal for her to ask that?
Also i didnt have a babysitter for my appt so i had to bring my 8yo daughter and she was watching and after the appt she told me she saw 3 small circles in a big circle and then alot more smaller ones on the outside of the big circle. I know my daughter knows nothing about my ultrasound but i figured i would share that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jul. 15, 2013 in Health

• Sounds normal. She probably wanted to know if you ever had a previous ultrasound so maybe they can compare them. Your Daughter probably saw the stones. They check all the organs since they all work together. Let us know what they say when you find out. It's normal to worry, I think everyone does.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• thank you and i hope i find out soon i will let you all know:)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• From what I can tell, ultrasounds generally (except for pregnancy) cover the whole area, not just the one specific thing they're looking for. It seems like it's used as a way to kind of confirm that what they suspect is the case (in your case, that you have gallstones), but to also give them the bigger picture in case they're wrong (for example, you have no gallstones, but they discover that...your intestine is twisted, maybe. Not that that's what you have or even could happen, just the only thing that came to mind at the moment).

It sounds normal to me. I wouldn't worry too much.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• i had gallbladder scan after i had my daughter
    gallbladders take a beating during pregnancy - did you have a baby recently?

when i had my scan the tech told me that mine had taken a beating during pregnancy but was well on the mend
    BUT, against rules for the tech to tell the patient- i just had a chatty one that did not follow the rules
    my tech also scanned all my other organs too, she let me see it and told me things that she saw- also against the rules i am guessing

the circles?? if perfect circles- could it be part of the scan
    or if irregular circles, than most likely your stones

hoping you hear soon, can not imagine they take more than a day or two to get back to you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Yes, I had scans of all three when I was in the hospital with pancreatitis.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• When I got checked for gallstones, the scan looked at everything. Bile, which is what hardens into gallstones, comes from ducts in the liver.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Is it normal for them to check out your pancreas and liver too?

Yes and yes it is standard to ask if you have had a procedure before.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2013