Ladies...I am hoping that one of you can help me here: My daughter is afraid of sitting on the potty.

My daughter, who is 2, was doing great with potty-training (telling us she needed to go, sitting on the potty at home and daycare and going, etc.), but apparently fell in the toddler potty at school (they didn't tell me until I asked if anything had gone wrong because this weekend, she wouldn't go near the potty/only would wear diapers/kept saying she was scared of the potty-- that's another issue), and now will not go near it.  Since she was doing so well before, I don't think this is a question of whether or not she isready.  Did this happen to anyone else, and if so, how did you get your little one over the fear of falling in again (please note...we have 2 potty chairs (I bought another one this weekend thinking changing it would help...it didn't) and 2 potty seats...so I don't think there is much more to try there). Thanks in advance!

anifitz

Asked by anifitz at 1:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd let it go for 6 months and then try again. It may take less grief than persisting if she's scared. She might just need a little more maturity to get over the fear.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 1:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I'd leave the potty where she can see it and sit on it if she so chooses, but I wouldn't push it. Just give her some time, and she will get back to it. I've known this to happen with several children. It's something different to begin with, and then something happens to add to the trauma. She will get over it, so don't fret and don't push!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• do the potty seats have handles on the side?
    these help with fear- makes child feel more in control by holding on
    also a step stool so feet do not dangle, feet are firmly on the stool- more control feeling

agree with aboves
    hold off for a while
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• From what I'm getting from my experience. is the more you fight the more the child resist. I would try to have a laid back approach, and expalain that the potty isn't going to hurt you, and have them watch you as much as you can on toliet. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Don't make her sit on it, it will just prolong the training process. In the mean time, maybe find one of those seat things for the real toilet so that she feels secure using that when then time comes. Something like this, and then you can get rid of the potty chairs.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• ones with handles helped mine

and stool for feet- does not have to be this fancy

and wait and try again after fear has subsided

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• I'd wait awhile then try again.

it's a fear she has now, and I don't think there is much you can do- other than give it some time
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• The padded ring seat with handles on the sides for the regular toilet worked a million times better for my daughter than the potty chairs. It helpedthat there was a picture of Dora the Explorer on it. Get one of those and just leave it in a conspicuous place in the bathroom, or even on the toilet, but don't make a big deal of it. Your child may just decide to use it on her own, especially if there's also a step stool.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will be patient and reassure her that she has nothing to be afraid of, and while we have a potty seat with handles and a step stool, I like the one pictured above (it seems to circle the toilet) so may try to find one of those. Thanks again for your help!!!
    anifitz

Comment by anifitz (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2013