i have a 4 month old great nephew he cries a lot when he don't need fed or changed is it poss, that he is to spoiled ? he don't even like napping ,what can be his problem"

Susan W.

Asked by Susan W. at 1:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree that it's not "for no reason" even though the reason doesn't seem to be hunger or physical discomfort from needing a diaper change. There are other reasons for crying (many suggested here in responses) including digestive upset, allergies, reflux, contact, emotional distress.
    Likely the parents are pretty stressed, wanting to stop his crying (which leads to relating to the baby as if there's a problem with his crying, as if he's doing something wrong, because not being able to help him/stop the crying creates a lot of discomfort for the parents.) That dynamic can ADD to his general stress & unhappiness.

Along with exploring other possibilities, you could suggest that the parents check out the book "The Aware Baby" by developmental psychologist Aletha Solter. It's about how babies cry either 1) for communication OR 2) in order to heal, and how to support them when they don't appear to be crying to communicate a need.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• A baby of that age does not cry for no reason, nor can they be spoiled. It's not like a 9 yr. old asking you to wipe his rear after pooping.

He needs something. He might have reflux or an allergy; mine had a milk protein allergy which made their reflux horrendous. And lying down flat also made it much worse, which made nap time pretty much non-existent until we got it all worked out.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• oh and I also don't think a 4 mth old can be spoiled.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• My son cried a lot as a young infant. He was going to his regular appts and his pediatrician suggested that we try a formula that was more gentle on his belly. Unfortunately that didn't help. Finally at his 4 month appt, he was diagnosed with a double ear infection. Not sure if that was the problem all along, if so why the dr. didn't catch it before that is beyond me.

Babies aren't spoiled at 4 months old, something is wrong. The problem is he can't tell you what it is.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• could be a medical problem as well. My son cried a lot until we found a formula that worked for him. He was having trouble digesting the formula and was in pain, his only symptom we could see/hear was the crying.
    tntmom1027

• A 4 month old is too young to be spoiled. I would bring it up at his next Dr.'s visit.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• spoiled at 4 months old? I don't know how that would even happen.

I would recommend going to the local library and borrowing the video Happiest Baby On The Block. It's very helpful, even for babies that are a few months old.

I hope you find something that helps.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• Ask the mother if she lets him cry it out or does she pick him up at every whimper?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• 4 months old is WAY too young to be 'spoiled' He is crying because he needs something. Even if they something is just close contact. Babies *need* to be held. It is how they find comfort and learn to love and be loved.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2013

• QM you're assuming she knows how to read and what a library is.
    Anonymous